Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Rebuild

Wasa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
Hi, all
I guess this has been asked many times but i thought it can't hurt to post.
I was just wondering how much it would cost to do a full engine rebuild to set up a Series 1 3.8L for a supercharger/turbo running 15-20psi of boost.
There is no budget but I want atleast 300kW atw and a strong engine that won't need a rebuild for at least 200,000km's. It is stock standard at the moment.
Also if other things should be done along with this then let me know what and how much they cost.
I can probably do most of the work myself so I just need to know prices for parts.
If this is a stupid idea then please give me other ideas as well :), I really want some more power out of my VN :D. Thanks

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais
check out the come racing site. they do a complete stroked engine to suit boost for bout 10k. also check out prostroke engines. but depending what parts you use roughly 6 to 10k.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i think ya should work out what you really want first. do you want a turbo or supercharger. do you want it streetable or for drags??

Wasa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
I want it streetable, and what about stripping the 3800 and setting it up for a turbo?

Wasa

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SSV Manual
Ok, so after talking to a few people i've changed my mind.
I want it supercharged.. and running on 7-11psi. I want to replace the internals with stronger bits (if need be?) and get a hot cam and a decent but not overly loud exhuast. And a CAI pod filter setup. Any estimates on how much the internals will cost to replace? if they even need to be at that boost?
I'm guessing that the other gear is around about 5-6k (correct me if im wrong)

MyStreetCar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
Hi Wazza

I have recently rebuilt a VS V6 Ecotec Commodore as an on-line project.

The engine was kept naturally aspirated and I achieved an actual gain of 31 kw as compared to the standard engine.

My web site is: www.mystreetcar.com.au

If you get a moment, check it out...!!!

I am not to sure if this is the sort of info you are looking for however, there may be some ideas and info that may help you with your upgrade plans.

Good luck

Peter

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Have a look at the forum sponsors. We should be supporting the people that support us.