Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine shutting down, blowing fuse.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Yesterday when driving up my extra steep drive way my car stopped just as I was entering my garage. Plenty of power everything was working except the engine and starter motor. Tracked it down to a blown fuse in the panel under the steering column, fuse 14, ENGINE CONT.BCM replaced the fuse and it's been fine all day, gone up and down the driveway several times.
Just now I drove up the driveway again and it stalled in exactly the same spot, and I mean exactly. Blown fuse again. Replaced fuse, drove a couple of meters into the garage and it blew again. Replaced fuse again and it's running but I haven't driven anywhere.
There is obviously a short somewhere but I need to know where to start my search. Any ideas?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Wiring diagram??

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Wiring diagram??
Ask and ye shall receive.....
(F14 fuse, is 5th from the bottom).

View attachment Power Distribution VXII WHII & VUII.pdf

I would be looking after the fuse, not before.
As the Pink wire from ignition, feeds five other fuses (12, 13, 26 &27).
So if the other fuses didn't blow, I highly doubt it's before the fuse.

+12v for the EFI Relay spices off the Pink/Blue wire after F14 fuse.
If your car is shutting down, it could be due to the relay shorting, causing the fuse to blow.
I would check the relay and especially the wiring underneath the fuse/relay compartment in the engine bay.

Coming down the steep drive way, may just be enough to move a faulty wire/s in the wrong direction and allow it/them to short.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you check the diagram, it (F14 Fuse), also supplies power the the Theft Deterrent System.
So maybe there's a problem there?

A problem with either one would, I'd say, would shut the engine down
and probably blow the fuse.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
How much does the body twist when going up the driveway? I'm leaning towards a loom rubbing on the body or engine and has worn thru the wiring insulation

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for posting the wiring diagrams Nut Kracker.
I do have wiring diagrams but unfortunately myy reading of wiring diagrams is very limited to say the least but does fuse 14 have anything to do with the high and low speed fan relays?
I noticed that the low speed fan does not come on, turn A/C on, no fan then the high speed fan comes on at 108 degrees. So it is constantly running hot but it doesn't seem to be on the temperature gauge, I only noticed when I selected the digital reading.
I've also noticed that the fuse only blows when it gets hot.
I know that the low speed fan relays are notorious for failing so I went to Holden to get one and they sold out on the weekend, so I had to order one which will be in later today.
Hopefully the relay is the problem.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The low speed fan relay didn't fix either problem so I had to bite the bullet and take it to an auto electrician. They will check it out tomorrow.
It took me about seven fuses to get there.