Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erik's 6L VZ SS

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Coilover installation complete. I did the job myself last night, and it took about 4 hours. Very happy with the result!

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Hey all,

Ok tonight the clutch master cylinder ####ed up

I'm looking for opinions on good aftermarket clutch master cylinders for my VZ SS Commodore (2006 with the L76 in it). I am planning on doing it myself as I enjoy working on my car and the job doesn't look too difficult. Anyone done this themselves?

So anyway what happened: I was driving back from Neutral Bay this evening the master cylinder (or perhaps just its hose) went, spewing clutch fluid on to my extractors and catching the bonnet lining on fire. I put out the fire and drove home in 1st to Wollstonecraft and now the SS is stuck on my driveway ...

I got the car in mid 2008 with 58,000kms and Marrano's at Croydon replaced the clutch at 110,000 kms with a heavy duty unit after the stock clutch died. As far as I can tell the master cylinder is original. That means it has 206,000 kms on it now.

I have been researching master cylinders online tonight and am impressed with the amount of info the Yanks have posted on the LHD version of my car (Pontiac GTO). I am half tempted to buy a Tick master cylinder pack for a GTO from the States, but imagine that the clutch line would be a fair amount shorter, seeing the clutch's master cylinder is on the other side Stateside. If anyone wants to tell me what slave works well for them, I'm all ears :)

Last edited:

notStock

evolving
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SS M6
Hey bud. I've done master cylinders myself, you're right in that it's no really too difficult. Make sure you got proper pipe spanners, and some fender blankets so you can lean in and get to the thing properly.

Had a quick look and it looks like the yanks are all over it with upgrades, not really surprising, anything that can be upgraded on these things, they've got a part for.

You could get the upgrade part and get some lines made for it? The line to the reservoir isn't so critical, no pressure in it. The line down to the slave _should_ be in two parts, with a join down the side of the gearbox.

I did my manual conversion on my old Calais with a genuine master/slave, master gave out after a few months, but that could've been me ####ing it up some how. I replaced it with another genuine and didn't have an issue with it.

derrro

haha tough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SS
Thanks mate, yeah the Yanks sure do have aftermarket stuff for our cars sorted.