Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Factory parcel shelf subs

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Ok, I know most people probably think they suck, but I want a bit more bass without the bulk and weight of a real sub (I use my boot a lot). Two 8" speakers in the parcel shelf would be a hell of a lot better than nothing. They are available cheaply on ebay or wreckers and look like they bolt straight in.

Does anyone know how the factory amps are wired up? i.e., line level or speaker level inputs, do they need a seperate wake up line from the head unit, etc. If they're easily to wire up I may as well grab one, otherwise I'll just grab a cheap aftermarket amp to go with my hektic 8" OEM subs.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The factory amp is mounted behind the panel on the left side in the boot and the wires for the amp connect at the back of the head unit but I think it only applies to the Maestro system. The plugs for the subwoofer out put are weird looking plugs and I don't know what they are called. I am quite happy with sound because like you, I only want a little more bass.
You can get cheap Maestro headunits on ebay at times and you should be able to get the wiring from a wrecked Calais, Statesman or Caprice. I don't know if Berlinas have them.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I've found in the past, the best amp for them is the Kenwood KAC-M615D and is by far the easiest option over trying to retrofit the factory amp into a car without the loom.
KAC-M615D | Amplifiers | Car Electronics | Kenwood Australia

Note: The OEM subs are 2ohms each. You will need to wire them in series and not parallel. Not difficult at all just need to be aware of it first.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
chuck in 2 8" 4 ohms subs in to your parcel shelf cover just cut the hole out no need for mount , use a kenwood amp 2 channel and wire like this
f8348bb6_vbattach200787.gif

u have to use ya rear speaker wires if ya have factory unit. looks and sounds better , I just stuffed in speaker foam in around the subs , u can get it from clark rubber , chuck in some component speakers up front they sound awesome.

don't get factory subs they sound crap. and they are not cheap on ebay my local wreakers only want 40 bucks for the pair.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
if ya decide to go with factory ones then put some silicon under the mount before ya pop revert it in , this is the diagram for 2 ohms subs. u need to get the grilles for ya parcel shelf if ya do it this way.

2SVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Cheers guys,

I have an aftermarket head unit with sub out already, so sounds like an aftermarket amp would definately be easier. Factory subs look easier to mount, not sure if the parcel shelf cover would be stiff enough to mount aftermarket subs to directly. With enough foam underneath it might be ok. If I go OEM I'll also need grills for the parcel shelf cover, or a calais cover, but the grills are easy to get.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
yip covers are dime & dozen for the parcel cover, I didn't use the foam for support I used it to stop the sound from leaking , and the cover is plenty strong enough to set them in , go with what ya happy with , the bass in the factory ones is more like a mid bass , so it wont be as good as u think, you can always upgrade ya subs and they should fit in the factory mount latter , I use a mdf board and screw it under the parcel in the boot so the amp can sit flat. Hope this helps. I like to see the subs on top but its up to u once you cut the hole out of ya cover for the grills ya cant fit the subs on top , but yea its a bit off cutting out to do on the parcel self to fit them on top of cover , but u can get shallow ones now.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If going with hotrods idea of using factory ones (2Ω) don't cheap out on the aftermarket amp, most speakers are 4Ω and using a cheap amp will not put up with the load and most likely blow the output transistors (may take out the speakers aswell)
As stated above do not wire them in parallel for a single channel amp, this will be a 1Ω load on the amp, will result in the same fate of things blowing up.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
doesn't it show a 2 channel amp not mono , as you stated . and it was not my idea factory subs are at 2ohms.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Yes the 2nd diagram is, the first isn't. Just clarifying info in the thread and the best way if going with factory subs and factory mounts.
Just trying to help people not blow things up.

Also Berlinas don't have the wiring for the factory amp either (well neither of the ones here do)