Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fair Or Unfair

B

boss

I was talking to a police officer friend of mine who was explaning the tatics of the police force to catch speed offenders. The local government was unhappy with the revenue raised from police officers in his area, so asked the station to concentrate on speeding. Their best efforts were still unsucessful however with little caught offenders in a month. The management at the station decided it was time for drastic measures.

On a hill in the area the police and government changed the speed from 60 to 70. they did put sinage up but it was only for the hill then went back to 70 again. every day for a 3 weeks the police handed out fines untill they got their quota.

The point is I'm all for if you get caught you pay the fines, but sneeky tactics to raise revenue are not ok. Money raised by speeding fines should be placed back into making our roads safer, there are some really dodgy roads in Victoria.

Whats everyones thoughts? Has anyone seen crappy tactics like this used before?

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
I too have seen the same tactic, a local straight was dropped down to 40kph. Fines were handed out for the first 2 months almost every afternoon (workers coming home). The community complained then with no questions asked the limit was resigned and returned to 60kph. Dodgy and no doubt revenue raising but it's everywhere and there's no easy answer.

Jake.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah on the highway near me (the Hume in VIC) over the space of about 3-4km the speed limit goes from 90km/h, to 80km/h to 70km/h then to 100km/h and finally 110km/h, its just ridiculus, and some of these changes take place for no apparent reason.

P

pip75

The same up here in Brissy Qld a stretch of road which use to be the old Bruce highway between Narangba and Burpengary,alot of differnet signs ,goes from 80 to 60 to 70 to 60 and back to 80. These signs never change but if you do not know the road or have missed a sign you go. They recently changed a 60 zone on a road that a school is on to 50 (decent downhill run. wide road clear vision etc ) and in school times drops to 40 further up the road, every morning since Tuesday our local boys in blue are having a field day for unsuspecting parents. I guess our areas revenue raising has been met already this year..lol

Pip

P.S For all those northside brissy( Kallangur Area) people it's Sheaves Rd Dakabin. Slow down or smile as you go by!!

Have a good one!

If you cant be good be good at it......, if your good at it ENJOY it

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
If they are not meeting their ticket quota is this not a good thing? Does it not mean that they are doing their job and it is working? That people are slowing down?!

Underhand tactics like this are an outrage, and blatant tax collecting.

Mike

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I know we hashed this out in a previous thread, but I still think speeding fines are considered revenue raisers from a government point of view.

To further reduce the road toll in SA, I read in the paper last week that they are considering taking demerit points from drivers caught using mobile phones. This is their latest deterent. Oh and they are also raising the fine for using a mobile whilst driving!

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
which is fair enough, i think driving with a mobile phone is more dangerous then speeding.

anyway, yes its stupid tactics, well, smart tactics really if they wanna hide behind tree's and come from nowhere with them stupid frikken cone/ torch things to pull you over.. let them go. the funniest thing i've seen was the speed camera ahead sign turned side on to the road, could only see it as you were nearly right next to it.. and by the time you've seen the sign you've gone past the camera.

but yeah, ill stand by my argument saying people on handheld mobile phones are dangerous, if they are talking thats bad, but sms is just a killer. hey i admit that i do it to an extent, but im always two hands on the wheel with loudspeaker on.. im sick of seeing people at lights just sitting there or not giving way at roundabouts because they are chatting away.. absolutely bullshit

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I agree too that talking/sms'ing on mobiles whilst driving is dangerous, and yes I too do it at times.

I was just pointing out that the SA government are using this as the latest deterant as a way to reduce the road toll.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
We all do it or have done it im sure! Its quite a skill to driving a manual and sending an sms. In saying that its best to wait for the lights, I force myself to not drive and txt now.

Mike.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
At the risk of backlash here, i have something for everyone to read, it's below. no abuse, no quoting, nothing like that, just remember, it's a personal oppinion.

Speed
61% of fatal crashes involved speed age 17-24 had speed as a contributing facotr

31% of newly licensed drivered aged 17 expected to loose their licence within the 1st yr of holding their "p's"

39% of newly licensed males aged 17 said speeding added to the enjoyment of their trip

16% of drivers under 25 increased their driving speed (speeding speed) in the last 24 months

93% of drivers involved ina speed related crash faced major scaring, emotional, pysical, and mental. 78% of those driver's will never walk again

i work on weekends with a young boy who's parents were in a car crash, they were hit by a speeding car, driver was 23. the young boy will never speak again, he's scared for life, and will never walk without the aid of a walking stick again, he now needs 24 hour care. he's now 31

you tell me, does speeding pay, i have no sympathy for people caught speeding. there is no such thing as safe speeding.

Just remember, this is my opionon no backlash is required, just thing about it.

source's
Australian institue of health and welfare new's letter.
Commonwealth department of health and aged care worker's
Australian transport saftey bureau