Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fastest Stock commodore ever made??

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by Tekka, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Tekka

Tekka New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VR Commodore
    Just wanted to know is the Vp the fastest stock commodore ever made??

2. geta

geta New Member

I assume you mean non-v8, non-hsv, non-turbo (vl).

If you remove those from the list, then I believe so, most Internet figures quote around 8.0-8.1s for 0-100

-dave

3. Duck_vp

Duck_vp Guest

the vp commodore has the most powerful V6 engine holden have evey made and it produce's 127Kw and can go from 0-100Km in 8 seconds flat it takes the VT 9.7

4. Infus10n

Infus10n New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
    what about the VS 147kw engine? similar weight as a vp.

5. VTSSDUDE

VTSSDUDE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
    Umm I think there is a correction to the VP with the fastest V6, how about the alloytec 190KW
    VY were 152kw.
    I think he means which commodore itself is the fastest for a stock car?
    By the way has anyone got any figures for a 190kw alloytec engine yet as in 0-100km, 0-400m.
    As for a VP or VN stock doing 0-100km 8 seconds. I will see it when I believe it.

Cheers,
    Jim :cool:

6. geta

geta New Member

oh yeah, forgot about the alloytec, the new sv6 owns all in terms of N/A factory V6's.

-dave

7. spice weasel (BAM)

spice weasel (BAM) New Member

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS
    2fast2furiousdude

Please go to attached website. It shows vp doing 0-100 in 8 seconds flat.

http://www.southgate.com.au/history.htm

However, i believe that their way of measuring 0-100 these days would have changed because i whoop stock vp's with my vx s pac and it says mine is 0-100 in 9 secs

8. Duck_vp

Duck_vp Guest

The reason why the vp is the fastest, is because of the computers in the vr and up have a speed and power lock on them and that is what slows them down, and that is why when they say the engine in vr and up can do so many Kw's but they can't becase the computer stops it.

also for the car to get that fast depends on the driver

9. VNBOY

VNBOY Guest

i think you will find that other than the Alloytec driven cars, a VN series one is the fastest ( i read it somewhere, ill try and find the article)

they had to reduce the torque onthe series 2 VN's due to too many people slipping out in the wet and they also put the bellmouth on the car as well to further restrict the power.
    (i know VP motors had an extra 3 kW but that was at the motor not the wheels, and with less torque it made there figures worse)

dpalomes: the reason youd beat stock VP's these days is because most of them have done nearly 200,000 k's and the motor etc. wont be running as well as it was when it was as new as your car. but yeah youd beat them stock these days.

10. holden#1

holden#1 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S1 Executive V6
    i made the below comment in another thread. you're right. forgot about current SV6 which has a claimed 0-100 time of 6.9. other than that, going by factory figures (if you believe them) base VZ V6 175kw Commodore is still slower than both VN's & VP's. Ecotec and Alloytec are much more powerful and refined engines, however, VN's weighed approx 1300kg's+, VZ's are up around 1550+kg's. as has been mentioned, how torque comes in under acceleration in a VN/VP seems to also make a big diff as to how a VN/VP accelerates. Commodore models VT on have made big improvements with creating a smooth changing auto compared to earlier models & I don't believe Holden are able to acheive this without losing some brute acceleration. i.e, a VN auto changes like 'bang,bang,bang' clutches in auto seem to lock up harder or something (?).

When i brought v6 Calais 3 years ago had the usual honeymoon period (thought it was the ducks nuts) but ended up being a very dissapointing drive. i didn't have g tech back then but estimate 1/4 mile time as high 16's. took calais to The Brock Shop (underwood/brisbane) got it dynoed. in doing so they restored about 10 kw's so it was back to factory figures exactly. they acheived this i believe by cleaning throttle body & some fiddling with computer. after this i changed leads & plugs and fitted ram style cold air intake lots of injector cleaner, 2 1/2" exhaust etc, after all this it felt like it revved twice as hard, can now beat my mate in his stock VP (which was fastest factory stock commo Holden ever made) only thing now that i feel lets calais down is the auto which feels a bit tired. (i drive it like a manual which i've heard stuffs them!)

11. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    My VP by manual shifting the auto can rip up the Rear of a VQII Statesman.
    And also my nephew has just done some big work on his VL Calais.
    Headers performence tune rebuilt tranny with better shifting, New LSD 3.9. Suspension work he has paid over $2500 on upgrades and mods. It's ment to be about 140kw now. Would you think that could take my little VP stock no mods at all and blocked Air filter??? No:D

We are going to the drags maybe after bathurst to settle the fight once and for all.
    I think i have one of them cars that come out 1 in 100,000 the one that comes with extra go go over the other standard ones. Anyone else get wheel cherps when dropping gears around 40-50kp/h???. I have drove the VN's VR's VS's. This VP is the fastest by heaps.

12. Mark

Mark New Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    excluding the alloytech.. its veepee followed close by vn.... yes the power isnt much more.. but when did power become the key focus down a quarter mile people!!!

13. holden#1

holden#1 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S1 Executive V6
    but only the 190 alloytec

14. VNBOY

VNBOY Guest

i just thought about it, wouldnt the VS be quicker than a VP and a VN, its only 50 kg heavier and has approx 30 extra kW.

15. yotaman

yotaman Guest

do u think the my 1992 vq would beat me mates 2000 vx, both stock as a rock engine wise, but my vq has a 2.5ich exhaust with super convertor?????

16. holden#1

holden#1 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS S1 Executive V6
    VN/VP's are quicker than VS's or any other stock 6 (bar 190 alloytec) even though the weight difference between VN & VS is only approx 70 - 80kg (VN 1310kg - VS 1387kg execs) and VS have 147kw ecotec. i believe the reasons are:

1. Auto's calibration. Later autos were made to be smoother which seemed to soak up power from the engine so to speak.
    2. Ecotec was designed to provide a much more progressive power output, even though peak power came at the same 4,800(approx). Vn's have more punch down low. This is helped by tranny's habits.

yotaman, i think you're in with a good chance - bear in mind that vq statesmans weighs over 100kg more than exec. depends on how tired your car is too i spose...

17. s0sage

s0sage Posting aimlessly ..

Members Ride:
    MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
    i vouch for the vn's prowess after flogging my old man in his '02 VX spac in my old vn v6 5spd
    muahaha

plus i consistantly kept up with any stock vn/vp v8 out there (up to about 70k's of course then its BYEEEeeeeee haha)

i totally miss that car ... :cry:

18. Full Spectrum

Full Spectrum Bro it's a VW your Audi!

Members Ride:
    Berlina V6
    So the easy was to say it is.. The VS was very flat on take off by then the VN-VP was gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooone.
    But get them @ 50kp/h moving rolling race and the VS will come into it's own.

But with my VP it has a pancake exhuast (was 5" low:eek: )cracked header air filter shit, Tranny needs a servies fast. After i do all this it will be even faster:D

19. LowVp

LowVp VP Enthusiast

Members Ride:
    VP Ute 3.8T T56
    bellmouth was implemented to stop the back to cylinders running leaner than the front four, idea is to make the air reach the centre of the plenum then run out to each cylinder rather than just coming into the plenum then taking the path of less restriction which was the back to cylinders

20. LowVp

LowVp VP Enthusiast

Members Ride:
    VP Ute 3.8T T56
    bellmouth was implemented to stop the back to cylinders running leaner than the front four, idea is to make the air reach the centre of the plenum then run out to each cylinder rather than just coming into the plenum then taking the path of less restriction which was the back to cylinders, never had a ecotec powered unit get pass me under 100km/h