Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First attempt gearbox out - VS-V6-Ecotec-5 speed Manual. (pics included)

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Hi Guys. Got a VS Ecotec - V6 Manual.

I have a coolant leak from the rear plate so I've decided to have a crack at replacing it myself. (also replacing leaking slave cylinder).

Hoping for some detailed info about the process.

I have the exhaust off. I think next steps are 1. drain off trans fluid. 2. remove Tail Shaft. 3. Then release the gear shifter from the box (there's 2 clips to remove?..I can see 1 easy).

Pic 1 - Which is filler? And the plug on bottom must be drainer?
Pic 2 - Just remove the 3 bolts (yellow arrow) touching rubber?
Pic 3 - Just remove the 4 nuts (are these lock-nuts or anything tricky?)?
Pic 4 - Any tricks to getting these clips off? Each have a different type of clip?
008a.jpg003a.jpg015.JPG017.JPG

Any advice would be appreciated.. cheers.

Last edited:

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Good luck with your project. You're not getting much advice yet but I'm sure you will succeed, with patience. You will want to take the whole tailshaft out, not just the front section. You don't want to disturb the centre bearing and constant velocity joint unless it needs work. Mark the flanges at the rear uni joint before removal as it can affect the balance if it doesn't go back in the same position. Just take out the centre support bracket nuts and undo the 4 bolts at the rear uni. This will allow the whole tailshaft to be lowered and removed. You should avoid allowing the centre CV joint to go to its extreme positions during removal. You can splint the drive shaft with (say) tomato stakes and light rope before removal to make it easier to handle and protect it. Also handle the unis at the back carefully because you don't want them to fall apart during removal. Have a tray ready to catch oil or slide a drive shaft yoke (front section) into back of gearbox to plug it.
Of course while the drive shaft is out is the time to replace worn unis etc if needed but that's how jobs get bigger on old cars!
I have pulled a gearbox out of a VP. It's almost easier to lift the whole motor and tranny out but a lot of others would probably disagree. You need to be careful to keep the torque converter. Oh scrap that thought, it's a manual.
A Gregorys shop manual is a fairly small investment and contains a wealth of useful info even though it's not written in layperson's terminology. You will also find a lot of info already on this site. Try using the search function and see what you can find. Cheers

Last edited:

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Hi Rob, thanks for info. I've changed OP a bit, so you might want to remove what you wrote about the first pic, etc.. Sorry about that, I was editing as you replied.
I do have the MAX ELLERY'S VR-VS Repair Manual, but it's a bit ordinary imo.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You don't need to drain the gearbox oil. The yoke isn't removeable with common tools. You just undo the centre support. Three bolts at the front and the 4 at the rear to remove the tailshaft.

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Thanks for reply. I will be doing a trans fluid change anyway, it's due. Each pic in OP has it's own question and coloured arrows for easy explanation. Cheers.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Are you sure the leak is from from the back? A welsh plug maybe ? Or a manifold coolant leak?
It's just that I've never had one or seen one there except for my mongrel alloytec thermostat housing idiot idea.

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Yeah mate, I've really sussed the area out. I'm quite certain that the leak is from corrosion in the rear-main-seal-plate-thing.. I've bought the new plate, so it better be where the leak is :)

Here's a couple pics I found of plate off & plate on.. L67_Assembly_40.jpgL67_Assembly_41.jpg
This video from youtube shows the problem..Holden Commodore Over Heating & Water Loss Issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsjgoE-czUY

I'm having troubs getting the tail shaft off (first time n all).. The 4 nuts/bolts at rear of tail shaft.. 015.JPG What's the trick, guys?

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Nuts have their ends crimped to add resistance so technique is to hold nuts with 15 mm spanner and get something with some leverage on the 14mm bolt heads and undo ... Careful not to let nuts turn as they sit against shoulder of flange and will round off if you don't stop them turning.... Probably supposed to use new nuts when reinstalling but I just put a drop of loctite on them .

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
I have a bit of time to do this project. Have spent a fair bit of time under the car just sussing things out.. Would be great if I didn't have to remove the 4 bolts at rear of tail shaft 015.JPGbecause it's a bit of a squeeze and I can't undo the fockers.

Got the 3 at the front undone 004a.jpg , they were a bit of a biotch too, not looking forward to putting them back on...

Got the centre bolts out and rested shaft on jack 003a.jpg, but might have to reattach while I take the rear bolts out.

So I definitely have to remove the 4 rear bolts?? Please say NO :)