Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting 6x9s into a VN

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
I'm gonna be going out to buy a set of Kenwood 6x9s very shortly, and wanted to know how I would go about mounting them in the parcel shelf of a VN commodore.

Would I be cutting a hole in the parcel shelf? Or using spacers? If I were to use spacers, which ones would I get? And where from? Considering that the window on the VN is farely close

VPplayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
6x9 in a VN parcel shelf realy dont mix. I wouldnt cut a hole in my parcel shelf. I tryed useing spacers in my VN but it didnt happen, the speaker keeped on hitting the window. As ugly as it is... you can put them in boxes and then just mount them on top of the parcel shelf.

Or just go 6x5 like i did. fitted perfect for me.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Allrighty, you have 2 options basically.A hole will be required in the parcel shelf for each speaker, and you can choose to mount them in and above the sotck rear 6 inch hole (once the parcel shelf is removed, you'll see 2 holes which are spot welded up, if your's wasn't optioned with rear speakers) Otherwise, you can mount them in the centre of the shelf, closer to the cabin. Whether you will require a spacer or not, will depend on the overall mounting depth of the speaker basket, but most likely will require one. You can get spacers in different shapes, heights, angles, ect.. Most commonly you will see an angled spacer used, when mounting above the stock rear location, generally being as it's so close to the rear window it would cause clearance issues otherwise.http://forums.justcommodores.com.au.../67632d1247417046-4-channel-amp-photo0011.jpg here is a set i installed in a VP,http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...3d1247417088-4-channel-amp-photo0012-1.jpgthe spacers used here were from AERPRO.Speakers And Spacers - AERPRO Car Audio Accessories if you have a look on their website, they will give you a list of stores in your area which stock their products.

If you have any questions, let me know, and i'll see if i can't help you through it...

Last edited:

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
To do what was done in those pictures, basically how big of a whole will need to be cut into the parcel shelf?

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The hole you'll need to cut, does not have to be the size of the basket. Because you are raising the speaker with a spacer, the hole basically only has to accomodate the magnet, and in some cases, a small amount of the basket. Also, with these pressed firbe parcel shelves, they are very fragile ( i went through 3) by the time you cut a hole, attach a spacer, a put a speaker in, your not left with a whole lot in terms of strenght, with the shelf, so becareful, and take your time.

Trial fit your spacer,to the parcel shelf once its out, without screwing it down, and trace around the inside if it,then remove the spacer and get your speaker. Find the centre of the circle you've just traced, and place the speaker there, with the magnet being in the center. Now trace around the magnet. The hole from the magnet will be the one you'll need to cut. Once it's cut, you can trial fit the speaker with the spacer, and see if there's sufficient clearance. If not, then you'll just have to expand the hole a little more until it suits.

Last edited:

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Are you serious? So this isn't gonna be a very simple job?

I might just NOT bother >_<

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Its simple, just gotta cut a hole, screw down the spacers n bolt in the speakers.

The most time will be spent on measuring out ur distances so its all even.

I think i put sum in in around a hr, its much harder to get 6.5's in the factory position as its soo close to the rear window u dont have much room to work with even with the parcel shelf out.

Having them back from the window makes it soo much easier.

Best to pop out the shelf tho, jst to be sure its not too far back or it will hit the metal, alternativly look in ya boot to try guess where the ridge starts.