Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting a 4L60-E VR tranny behind a VP/VN motor with no Cam angle sensor HELP!!

toyo truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
1989 Toyota Commo-Lux
Hey guys,

Long time member, you guys really helped get my last truck "off" the road...was hoping I could get some more of your commo v6
wisdom...these are the best motors for 4wding in a hilux...so much poke for such a little truck!
plus great fuel economy and drivability once you get em working just right.

I have a modded 1991 Toyota Hilux, that currently runs a VP (or VN not sure) 3.8 V6.
The current 3.8 has the '3800' in red cast into the manifold, looks exactly like my VR commo but has no CAM angle sensor.
(it does have a blank in the casting above the harm balancer, and a threaded hole, but no sensor in it...I think this means its earlier than VR right?)

Currently, the VP/VN motor is mounted onto a custom dellows bellhousing to the hilux G52 manual.
Fully engineered and road legal too I might ad..hence the need to keep the motor if possible (motor number for rego/engineer papers etc)

I want to remove the stuffed G52 manual, and put into the truck my modded Holden 4L60E auto and tricked out dual transfer cases.
(out of my old hilux and has been tested many, many times)

The thing is, the Holden 4L60E auto is from a VR commodore...which had a CAM angle sensor, this current motor has not.

Question before I hook in and start doing the conversion...
1) will the flex plate, torque convertor and box will physically bolt to the early "manual" motor once I unbolt the current clutch and flywheel?
2) once I have the 4L60E bolted up to the VP/VN, for the auto to work, will I need to run the VR ECU and loom on the VP motor?
3) will the VR ECU and loom work without a Cam angle sensor?
4) is the only main difference between a VN/VP and VR the cam angle sensor? certainly seems this way from my research.

Thanks so much guys, keen to get my rig back on the road as it hauls ass with this worked VP or VN motor...maybe quicker than my old
truck with a VR?? but this one is a lot lighter at the moment.

Cheers,
Bart