Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flooring people ? Who knows self levelling..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey are there any flooring people on here?
I need to do a big job with Self levelling cement but have never used it before:hmmm:
Got 300 n something kg's to spread through the longeroom floor. How easy is it to use ? What's a good size bucket to use to get it done the fastest ?
What's the best thing to build the 'dam' around the walls with so it doesn't all end up under the house ?.......

Fingers crossed there must be a few on here that do this...:surprise:

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ill give you a suggestion.
fill every single hole gap whatever you find up really well, as it will get in to anything below the height that isn't sealed up.
no joke, if there is a tiny opening it will go through it.

ive seen it used at work before (fair while ago though)

I think from memory they used some form of foam for the edges
it worked well.
otherwise cardboard and similar can work well, so long as there are no gaps at all.

basically think of it like water, if water is going to get through then this stuff will :thumbsup:

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah you got that right. It's designed to be as thin as possible so it spreads easily but sets quickly.
People who regularly use this stuff seem to be very hard to find!

Clubsported

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport wagon
What sort of self leveling product are you using Ardite or ??
yes like they say its like water a little thicker though ..
to control the edges you need a solid tight joint able flex can be used.
you will need a proper drill witch you can purchase at bunning for $100.00 with a proper mixing paddle as you will need to make sure its broken down properly out of the bag when you mix it.
then you will also need 2 to 3 tubs or one large tub if your confident you can mix it all up in time then pour it out.
when mixing best to tip water in first then add product.
you also need to know that a self leveling compound are generally only for low heights as in up to 10mm some will do 30 but i personally wouldnt recommend it.
My advice is to go to a concrete shop to purchase goods but before purchasing have them explain how the product works and what is required if your satisfied then go with there product if not look for another product or get cheeky and go to bunnings--- bear in mind Bunnings sell the same products with different manes and logos.
I would recommend calling Bayset in Qld in Archerfield and ask them for some assistance.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How strong is this gear? I poured the slabs in my shed but ended up with a few low spots. Is it expensive? Also how far does one bag go?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How strong is this gear? I poured the slabs in my shed but ended up with a few low spots. Is it expensive? Also how far does one bag go?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It's not as hard as concrete but fine for walking on. You could use one of the standard types for your shed floor like Ardit or Lanko from bunnies. How deep do you need to fill?
It's a bit like speading a sloppy mortar mix.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How deep do you need to fill?

No more than 10mm. It's mainly around the edges where it sagged because I poured the slab after I built the shed and the boxing didn't quite hold it well enough, plus some of the sloppy mixes went into the flutes in the wall sheets.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah you could sort that out. Just lay a thin strip of somthing along the wall level with the finished surface you want to achieve. It could be a 5mm thick strip of timber sitting on packers or whatever you've got.
Then seal that so nothing runs under it, prep the concrete with whatever product is recommended like Dunlop primer sealer. Mix up your mud and fill the dips up to the level of your timber edging

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Getting the whole lot flat without creating more hills and valleys is the hard part. Probably best to do 1 or 2 bags at a time then leave it to dry. Then check it out so you can refine your technique before you keep going.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
You might have already completed the job, but in case you haven't.

Best practice is to use a compatible floor sealer for the concrete under the flc. Then duct tape around where any holes are. Cut the exposed tape after the floor has cured. You can make a dam with the duct tape by taping over some cord or rope.

When you're mixing the flc, the rule of thumb is like teflon tape in plumbing, when you think you've done enough your about half way there.

Best way to level it out os with a spike roller. Any tile shop should be able to get you one