Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Flowmaster super 44's or cherry bomb glass pack muffler?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You can get a decent sound out of a V6 but I wouldn't use a muffler designed for a V8 like the super 44 specifically was.

My old VN sounded good enough (others who heard it thought so too) and it was an off the shelf 2.5" system with no cat manufactured here in NZ.

One of our neighbours get a visitor who drives a Holden VS V8 that has a ricer cannon on the exhaust, that idiot deserves no less than to be hung, drawn and quartered for such an abomination!

At the end of the day, find an exhaust system on the same car you have and you're on a winner because as mentioned earlier sound is very subjective. If you like the sound in the vid above than go with that :)

edit: don't know if I like the sound of that, too ricer for me, but then I don't like how the initial part was done, driving off between 2 big buildings, heavy brick walls is going to reflect the sound which will change the sound. A video that has drive by shots of said car at different throttle levels would be a better indication of what it would sound like.

Last edited:

Slaya777

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 2008
You can get a decent sound out of a V6 but I wouldn't use a muffler designed for a V8 like the super 44 specifically was.

My old VN sounded good enough (others who heard it thought so too) and it was an off the shelf 2.5" system with no cat manufactured here in NZ.

One of our neighbours get a visitor who drives a Holden VS V8 that has a ricer cannon on the exhaust, that idiot deserves no less than to be hung, drawn and quartered for such an abomination!

At the end of the day, find an exhaust system on the same car you have and you're on a winner because as mentioned earlier sound is very subjective. If you like the sound in the vid above than go with that :)

edit: don't know if I like the sound of that, too ricer for me, but then I don't like how the initial part was done, driving off between 2 big buildings, heavy brick walls is going to reflect the sound which will change the sound. A video that has drive by shots of said car at different throttle levels would be a better indication of what it would sound like.
Thanks, what do you think about the 2nd vid I posted.. The red ute?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't sound to bad but you need to hear it been driven as it will change the pitch when the engine is under load.

I didn't think the first vid was to bad until it drove off and it got really pitchy/rapsy sound (to boy racer for me).

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It doesn't matter what other people think of the exhaust note. If you like it, then it's good. People are so hung up on others approval of their cars. Do what you want and fit what you think sounds good.

Car "enthusiasts" are a bit like art critics, some of them have no clue on what looks or sounds good, they just go with what others think.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
What's wrong with this sound? Sounds good to me

Sometimes what you hear in a vid is very different to what you get in real life, see if you can find one to listen to in a real world senario.

Slaya777

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 2008
Thanks guys, I wanted the super 44 muffler because it is cheap..$130ish?? And sounds good to me. But you guys have told me it was built for v8's and won't sound good on my v6. What would be the next muffler you would recommend? Xforce or any other ones?? Possible cheap as well :)

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
The only good sounding V6 I've heard on youtube was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCfLREHv6kw

And of course the ones with a bigger cam.

Personally, I'll stick to my SS catback, but it was drony before I fitted the pacemakers! Like already said, mufflers designed for V8 systems will probably don't sound good on a V6 or even worse, will badly drone.

Most X-force systems already drone on V8s, I can't imagine how bad it would be on a V6...