Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Mustang scores appalling 2 star Ancap rating

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have 2 mates who have ordered Mustangs.
Still waiting to hear their reaction to this....

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
I have 2 mates who have ordered Mustangs.
Still waiting to hear their reaction to this....

I've been reading about this on various forums and comment sections of news articles and many are trying to defend the Mustang by saying that its a sports coupe and nobody cares about it's safety rating. What a croc.
Safety is of the upmost importance for most buyers these days, regardless of the type of car. It is even more important in a performance car which is statistically more likely to be involved in a high speed incident. Some people need to accept that Ford have done a terrible job engineering this car and it is simply unacceptable in this day and age.
If I had a deposit down on one I would certainly be cancelling right now.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I've been reading about this on various forums and comment sections of news articles and many are trying to defend the Mustang by saying that its a sports coupe and nobody cares about it's safety rating. What a croc.
Safety is of the upmost importance for most buyers these days, regardless of the type of car. It is even more important in a performance car which is statistically more likely to be involved in a high speed incident. Some people need to accept that Ford have done a terrible job engineering this car and it is simply unacceptable in this day and age.
I totally agree...
I like the looks, it is my preferred configuration(2 doors) and it is 'affordable'.
It was on my radar, but '2 stars' is just embarrassing as a safety rating in 2017.

JRS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo

Im sure ford execs knew about this but with ford manufacturing closing down here they needed to get their halo model over here as quickly as possible. The execs were probably hoping Australia would by as many mustangs as possible before the public knew of the safety rating before sales may get hurt.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
How the hell can they even market a vehicle with such a dismal safety rating these days? 2 stars is the sort of rating rubbish like an old Mirage scored. And if the Falcon, which is a much older design, can score 5 stars, why couldn't the new Mustang get at least 4? What scores do other US Fords get?

Was the Camaro tested the Zeta based model developed here ir the later replacement? It didn't seem to do much better. At least the Charger retained all four wheels.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Has anybody actually read the whole article or only just the headline and jumped to conclusions?

Article says it's the new Ancap test so for starters it's not comparing apples with apples when comparing the new Mustang with older model cars which were tested to a different standard.

From the test results it did ok in the crash tests, if failed miserably in all the add on safety features line lane departure warnings etc.

Final score is the lowest score achieve in any sub category, so it could have gotten 5 stars (I believe it achieved the equivalent of 4 stars) in the crash test but still only received 2 star rating due to the abysmal failure in other categories. Quiet frankly all those lane departure stuff is the fluffy stuff to make one feel good but if you need that **** to be able to drive down the road I think you should hand in your license!

Overall still a crap result for anybody other than an adult occupant but just reinforced my position that any Mustang other than the early models are crap :D

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Has anybody actually read the whole article or only just the headline and jumped to conclusions?

Article says it's the new Ancap test so for starters it's not comparing apples with apples when comparing the new Mustang with older model cars which were tested to a different standard.

From the test results it did ok in the crash tests, if failed miserably in all the add on safety features line lane departure warnings etc.

Final score is the lowest score achieve in any sub category, so it could have gotten 5 stars (I believe it achieved the equivalent of 4 stars) in the crash test but still only received 2 star rating due to the abysmal failure in other categories. Quiet frankly all those lane departure stuff is the fluffy stuff to make one feel good but if you need that **** to be able to drive down the road I think you should hand in your license!

Overall still a crap result for anybody other than an adult occupant but just reinforced my position that any Mustang other than the early models are crap :D

You are correct in saying that it is a new Ancap test with more stringent criteria, however the lack of features wasn't the biggest contributor to the poor result. There were a number of significant concerns regarding structural integrity. I read somewhere that the footwell moved back over 100mm in the test. Also, both front airbags failed to inflate correctly resulting in the driver's head hitting the steering wheel and the passenger's head hitting the dash. From my understanding, it would have scored 3 stars under the old regime, which is completely unacceptable when every other run of the mill car is scoring 5 stars.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Ford quality, Mustang has been junk for years.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ford quality, Mustang has been junk for years.

Exactly. I was watching this megafactories doco on TV about the Mustang. They talked about the quality of the car and showed one doing a burnout and you can see the rear axle tramp......

Quality, yeah right.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
they've been trading off the classic status of the 60's Mustangs for years.