Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Probe - Any common faults?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
the young fella at work has a probe, nothing major wrong with it, he does have issues when something brakes, they are expensive, and getting replacement parts is getting harder for him. other than that, he has nothign to complain about. good km/tank

That's good to hear. Do you know of any common problems? leaky transmission? problems with gearbox? Anything I should look for before purchasing? Anything outside of the usual problems on a 1994 car?

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
I'm trying to think of what problems my vs has had.... in the 2 years I've owned it, when I brough it, had get my brake discs machined, radiator leak (fixed with radiator fixer), oil leak (magically fixed itself), battery died, fuel pump died (didn't use it enough, ran on gas 95% of time, also had whole in the sack of the pump). Thats about it. Had a recent leak in my boot, due to Altezza tail lights.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
that's nothing, brakes = every car. battery = every car. 450kms from a tank is awesome as well, especially on gas. i doubt the probe will beat that anyway. my car does 300kms to a tank so i have to fill up twice a week which is quite annoying :p

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
That's good to hear. Do you know of any common problems? leaky transmission? problems with gearbox? Anything I should look for before purchasing? Anything outside of the usual problems on a 1994 car?

he would complain about tyre wear being un-even, ill hit him up tonight for some more details, see what he says

Sheany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S SuperCharged
I owned a Mazda 626. As I said, gearbox didn't like me much. I'm not sure if they're the same gearbox between the 626 and the Probe. Otherwise, I never had any major problems with the engine. Put a decent exhaust on it, the firing order of the engine gives it a really unique massive sound. Well worth it!

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
probes are alright, they aren't a fast car or anything, my mate just sold his not long ago and to keep it running was alright but for interior or exterior parts it did cost too much, also i hope you know it is not a real sports car cos real sport cars are not front wheel drive imo.

also there is a button in the boot for the fuel pump, if you hit a speed bump or something too hard it cuts off the fuel pump and you have to push the button in the boot to start the car again, mate did that in his and couldnt work out why the car wouldnt start

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
that's nothing, brakes = every car. battery = every car. 450kms from a tank is awesome as well, especially on gas. i doubt the probe will beat that anyway. my car does 300kms to a tank so i have to fill up twice a week which is quite annoying :p

I get 450km on a tank of 95oct petrol.. I get like 500-550 from a tank of gas, the gas tank is bigger than the petrol tank.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
probes are alright, they aren't a fast car or anything, my mate just sold his not long ago and to keep it running was alright but for interior or exterior parts it did cost too much, also i hope you know it is not a real sports car cos real sport cars are not front wheel drive imo.

also there is a button in the boot for the fuel pump, if you hit a speed bump or something too hard it cuts off the fuel pump and you have to push the button in the boot to start the car again, mate did that in his and couldnt work out why the car wouldnt start

I'm not after a sports car... kind more of a sports lookalike lol. I recon RWD or AWD like R34 GTR :yeah: are performance cars. The button in the boot seems a bit strange and sounds rather annoying! LOL.

Why did he sell the Probe?