Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ford Probe - Any common faults?

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
It's a mitsubishi V6. If it uses the same auto as the rest of them, run away! Nice torquey engine but the gearboxes are shocking. I had mine rebuilt 3 times!

Mitsubishi V6,doubt it.Im pretty sure they are all Telstar underneath.

Sheany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S SuperCharged
Mitsubishi V6,doubt it.Im pretty sure they are all Telstar underneath.

Mazda 626, Telstar TX5, Ford Probe, Mazda MX6, All same **** different bucket

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
sold it cos he wanted 4 doors and rwd

Lol, I'm getting rid of my car cause it's a 4door :p I want coupe ... I don't take ppl in the back.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Steer clear mate....They are a pile of turd.

If you want a good economical car, buy a Toyota Camry. If i wasn't a Holden man, i would own a Toyota.

I'm not a ford fan ... I'd much rather a Supra MK3... but can't seem to get one ... and they have lots of problems to.

My only choices are.... Toyota Celica, Mazda mx6, Ford Probe, Mitsubishi FTO, Nissan 300zx, Honda Prelude, Lancers, Hyundai Coupes, Civic, Soarer.

That's about it really. To be honest not much great choices. 300zx too old. Preludes, Lancers, Hyundai, Civic's are gay.... Soarer & Celica's look weird. Mazda mx6 and Probe are pretty much same internal. Mitsubishi ..... well it's a mitsubishi ... explains it all.

Sheany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S SuperCharged
So, where did you get the Mitsubishi part from? None of those vehicles use a Mitsibushi engine....

I was of the opinion that Ford, Mazda and Mitsubishi were grouped together during the early 90's as 'Familia' I do specifically recall finding Mitsubishi symbols all over the engine in my 626. But then again, wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong, which it seems is the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_626#1992 some details on the V6, specifically about the gearboxes being the weak point.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
This probably won't help much, and it isn't intended to bag the Probe or Fords generally, but the Probe is very poorly regarded by the used vehicle market. It was not a well designed car, though what the specific things wrong with it were, I can't recall. I remember Wheels magazine referring to it as the "poxy Probe" during a comparison road test back in the early 90's.

Look, it's an old car and wasn't a very good one even when it was new. I think you could do a lot better with your money and probably end up spending a lot less time getting expensive repairs carried out.

And yes, it was Mazda based. There was no connection between Mazda and Mitsubishi at any time I can recall. Mazda has been tied in with Ford since at least the 80's and they have model shared since the first Mazda 323/Ford Laser was introduced in 1980 or 81 in Australia.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I've seen a few of those K-series V6 engines with lifter noise (there was a dealer rework on some models) and oil smoke.

The Probe is indeed based on the same floorpan as 626, Telstar. MX-6, Eunos 500. The rest of the car is American designed rubbish - little wonder that their car industry is in the **** now.

While it depends some on the distance travelled, if the aim is to save money, for low running costs, especially if you can fix the inevitable problems with an older car yourself, nothing will beat a 10-15 year old Commodore on LPG. Price in things like tyres, insurance, parts - esp. used, rego. transfer costs, the need for timing belts and depreciation, even if rego. may cost a bit more (it depends on where you live). Maybe an Excel, Corolla or Camry (also on LPG) might come close but who wants to drive those?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
I don't take ppl in the back.

I'm glad to hear that...

I looked into getting one of these when i 1st got my license, but only because they looked cool, so if thats all u want it for then make sure when u buy one, check it out real good.