Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fraudulent use of visa card

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Hey all. A couple of days ago i received a bank statement for my visa card . On it was a couple of fees amounting to a total of $3400 payable to "rentpay " in Milsons Point which is a suburb of Sydney. The thing is i live in Melbourne and own my own home . Want i want to know is we haven't used this visa card for a few months as it is only for emergency, so how could someone get our information and use the card ? When we contacted the bank they said whoever has done it is stupid because if they bought a computer they wouldn't be able to trace it , but because they used it to pay their rent it will be easy to trace . Wondering who else here has had a similar problem?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Last year my bank rang me to see if I was in the UK.

Nope !

They had noticed transactions on my c/c for limos and pizzas somewhere in the UK.

Nope again. Definitely not me.

They lodged a disputed transacton claim, cancelled the card and issued me wth a new one.

How did the perps get my card nuber ? Who knows exactly....there are many devious readers around the place these days and a very lucrative market for the detals.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you are talking generally about misuse of cards, there should be no problem getting a refund from your bank.
I had my Westpac card used in a brothel in Venice (Italy), but because I had never been out of Australia, I had no problem getting it refunded. Don’t know how Westpac got their money, that was not my problem.
I also recently had my NAB card used in USA. A couple of weeks later the entry was reversed by whoever used it, but I got charged 39 cents on the exchange rate by NAB. I took this up with NAB as a matter of principle, if the purchase amount had been a couple of thousand, the exchange rate would have been more. I got my 39 cents back.
So, it does happen. But the banks are pretty good if you can show that it could not have been your purchase.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
If you are talking generally about misuse of cards, there should be no problem getting a refund from your bank.
I had my Westpac card used in a brothel in Venice (Italy), but because I had never been out of Australia, I had no problem getting it refunded. Don’t know how Westpac got their money, that was not my problem.
I also recently had my NAB card used in USA. A couple of weeks later the entry was reversed by whoever used it, but I got charged 39 cents on the exchange rate by NAB. I took this up with NAB as a matter of principle, if the purchase amount had been a couple of thousand, the exchange rate would have been more. I got my 39 cents back.
So, it does happen. But the banks are pretty good if you can show that it could not have been your purchase.
Yeah the bank told us only to pay the legit transactions and cancel the card .

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In Bali in 2010, I left my card in an ATM. Realised it was missing 4 hrs later (spent afternoon at beach). Called commonwealth bank, they cancelled my card. Limit was only 1000.

Got back to Australia to resolve the issue, CBA got me to identify on the statement where my card was stolen/lost at which point I signed an equivalent of a stat dec confirming my story was true etc. Extra debt was annulled.

Aussie XB12SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
Had the same thing a couple of years ago with $2500 spent in Paris and was a guts ache getting the money back from the NAB.
Told me not to pay the Paris purchase and kept getting charged interest after 6 months I nearly had it all back but the NAB were pricks to work with.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Last year my bank rang me to see if I was in the UK.

Nope !

They had noticed transactions on my c/c for limos and pizzas somewhere in the UK.

Nope again. Definitely not me.

They lodged a disputed transacton claim, cancelled the card and issued me wth a new one.

How did the perps get my card nuber ? Who knows exactly....there are many devious readers around the place these days and a very lucrative market for the detals.

imilar I hired a car in England some how.

How do they get the info??? Online payments paypal hacking????

I'm not 100% with the safety of online stuff.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
imilar I hired a car in England some how.

How do they get the info??? Online payments paypal hacking????

I'm not 100% with the safety of online stuff.

Could be any number of ways....from hackng a data base of some describe to running the card through a reader before running it through an eftpos machne (note - never let someone else run your card) to dodgy eftpos machines that scan/store the card detals. Maccas had this happen some time ago - http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/b...over-eftpos-skimming-fraud-20091222-lb77.html

"the skimming occurred through September after the pin pads at the drive-thru counters of more than 20 McDonald's restaurants in the Perth metropolitan area were replaced with compromised machines.

The bogus keypad would then transmit the card's information to a nearby mobile or laptop via Bluetooth technology
."

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I've had a new credit card used over seas before I actually got it in the mail some years ago.
Best solution is to make sure you have over seas payments locked .
Even get a wallet that has shielded lining to prevent the card being read while out and about.
If you use a card online for payments make sure its a small limit on the card.
Even punch out the chip in the card if you really want to and use only the magnetic strip.
And make sure you know the banks policy for stolen cards.
I've had t happen 3 times, the bank calls me to confirm my location, then its cancelled and refunded instantly.
The really **** thing is, the poor retailer has to give the bank the money back, then wait months before they are paid back. This is why some places will only accept pin number transactions and no pay pass.