Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Free Lotto Mobile Scam

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Uber_Flacky, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Uber_Flacky

Uber_Flacky New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 ltr Ute
    Hey guys,
    Just thought I would let you know of a SMS I recieved earlier this morning from a "Claimed" Freelotto Mobile Promotion,

It reads as follows:

Your mobile number has won for you the sum of $2,000,000 in our Freelotto mobile promotion, to claim call on +447011163246, Email: freelottoagent83@aol.com

I have recieved several of these messages today, first of which was around 3 am this morning... and each of the messages has been a little different, i.e using capital letters, changing amount to USD and the email seems to change each time.

Done some checking and confirmed it is a scam (like I didn't guess that already seeing as I haven't & will not sign up to any of that junk, lol) just thought i would give you all a heads up, sorry about the length of post...

Also does anyone know if I can stop recieving these somehow, or where to report this too???

2. calais24/7

calais24/7 Mucca Mad Boys

Members Ride:
    VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
    Call your service provider and speak to them about it i think you can stop the phone calls claiming that you get a free holiday but no one should be stupid enough to accept these "free" items or lottery pools.

3. Uber_Flacky

Uber_Flacky New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 ltr Ute
    just recieved another one ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Uber_Flacky

Uber_Flacky New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 ltr Ute
    And Another, lol not even a minute now...

5. Uber_Flacky

Uber_Flacky New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 ltr Ute
    lol, add another 5, they keen aren't they...

6. azza77

azza77 Kiss my coight

Members Ride:
    VX S2 Super6
    Best bet would be to call your service provider dude, im not sure if its the case here but some of those companies charger YOU a fee each time YOU receive a message. Sounds like you have been bombed. Did you enter your mobile number online somewhere? Even a forum can do the trick as they search for that kind of stuff, hence the reason most people write there email address like this: email 'at' something dot com

7. Daz750

Daz750 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Z Series SV6
    Nothin's free these days !!! ALWAYS a scam............

8. Uber_Flacky

Uber_Flacky New Member

Members Ride:
    VR 5.0 ltr Ute
    Well, just got back from my service provider's shop, they said sorry, there is 3 things I can do.

1: Wait it out, will most probably stop in a day or so
    2: Stop receiving messages altogether or
    3: Change my mobile number (Like its my fault)

Went to the cops and there is nothing they can do for me (surprise surprise)
    I also called the 3 care centre (my service provider is 3) and he said what the shop said basically.

I am Really P****D at the moment because I don't give my mobile number to anyone I don't have to, i.e Any website, forum etc... only to people and essential businesses like my bank etc...

9. azzfox

azzfox Braaap.

Members Ride:
    VE SS-V
    You'd think with everything today that they'd be able to block a certain number. Unless its one of those sneaky messages that has no number?

10. azza77

azza77 Kiss my coight

Members Ride:
    VX S2 Super6
    Tell you what, there full of absolute shit. Had a similar problem 3 years ago, they can block the messages and also phone calls. They can even block a call from a specific tower (location). Also lost my phone on the train 2 years ago, told me they couldnt do anything to locate the phone, but as i know they can, i kept ringing an ringing to get a different operater and eventually found where the phone was using tri-tower locating from my helpfull indian/gook friend. If service providers say it cant be done, there f*cking full of it.

11. danja

danja Swerves for gay koalas

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    It might be real dude! C'mon, $2mil!

12. STEALTHY™

STEALTHY™ So Wet For You!

Members Ride:
    VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
    You've pissed someone off, and they've used your number to get revenge. Just be nicer to people and it'll stop :)

13. Vee-ard

Vee-ard QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor

Members Ride:
    Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
    Yeah.. no. I've seen these people's interface screen with the network and it has nothing like this. I'm betting you've seen this on some american cop show and you think it's real, right? They dont have a real-time locator, the best they have is a box that shows what state the mobile is currently in, this is used for things such as Telstra's Free hour, as the free hour is timezone specific, not fixed. Quite possibly things have changed in the last three years due to privacy laws and such, but I'd say that you're the one who's full of it.

14. azza77

azza77 Kiss my coight

Members Ride:
    VX S2 Super6
    yeah... no. Think you better check out a bit more about. No you can not remotely activate a GPS or any of that shit. It works on the same principles as 'whereis' on your mobile if you dont have a GPS. An old work colleague of mine in the army used to play around with it when he went through his telecom tech course. Reason why i knew it can be done. No that cant read your messages, no they cant listen to your calls but they do save all called and messaged numbers an a whole heap of other shit.

15. Vee-ard

Members Ride:
    Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
    Whereis only knows the tower you're currently connected to, seeing as how you're only connected to one cell at a time, it would be hard to have your position triangulated. And anyway, what use is this to someone who's asking about international calls? better yet, this doesnt prove you can block messages from a particular tower at all. the network just doesnt have that feature as it would cause too many issues.

16. danja

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    The mobile itself can do triangulation, by measuring signal strength to 3+ towers (I believe iPhones do this when GPS reception isn't available), not sure if it can be done from the carrier end though.

17. Vee-ard

Members Ride:
    Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
    does this by measuring one at a time, and only if you're actually within range of any 3 at one time. Carriers also cant force your phone to switch to a different tower meaning if you arent moving, you cant be found.

18. azza77

azza77 Kiss my coight

Members Ride:
    VX S2 Super6
    Hard, but not impossible, i only know briefly on how it works, but when i phoned telstra, my curry munching friend told me that he was looking for the phone through 'tri-towering', took him about 4 mins an he was 40meters off, turns out it was still on the train about 60km from where i live. Although he did need my IMEI code to find it as it wasnt on there system. There used to be a website you could do it for one of americas networks.

P.S. It wasnt on digital.

19. danja

Members Ride:
    CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
    If they could disconnect you from a tower your mobile would look for the next best signal and connect to that. Hypothetical though, I don't know if that's something they can easily do.