Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front shocks / struts for SLs

benpotter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic
Hi guys,

Recently ive been collecting parts to lower my car, currently have Monroe gt lowered rear shocks, SL king springs front and rear.

Just wondering what you guys would recommend for the front, whether or not it’s worth to buy new front lowered shocks with struts?

Front suspension is completely fine but I was also wondering if it’s easier just to buy a set of front struts then put the lowered springs on them rather than changing over the front shocks in the existing struts. (I don’t even fully
Understand how the front shocks/struts work tbh)

Any specific products would also help!

Cheers guys :)

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will just buy front struts and and the associated parts that you need. Be best to get shortened struts if you're using shortened coils, You will probably need strut boots, bump-stops and strut bushes as well, which come in a kit with bush and bearing if you get McKay ones I think it is.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Tips for young players

1. Don't drop the bearing, ball bearings may/will go everywhere and you'll never find all of them

2. Don't over torque the top nut

3. Recheck the top but after a while as the top bush can compress/settle over time

4. Wheel alignment to suit your tyres and driving conditions (tyre grip levels - street - track)

5. Safety 5th (but it should be first)

benpotter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Olympic
You will just buy front struts and and the associated parts that you need. Be best to get shortened struts if you're using shortened coils, You will probably need strut boots, bump-stops and strut bushes as well, which come in a kit with bush and bearing if you get McKay ones I think it is.
Thanks for the reply, on King Springs website they recommend “Monroe GT Gas Shock Absorbers” to be fitted with the lowered springs, I looked them up and I can’t see if they’re “lowered struts” or not. Do the front struts 100% need to be lowered even if I’m only going to SLs? I’ve heard of some people running SLs on stock / fe2 struts without any problems.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
I bought some struts (for VR) and they were marked as being standard/lowered so you might be ok if it's only SL.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Question: aren't King SL the same drop as FE2???

Reactions: Lex