Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Consumption Prob For Vp

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i just replaced mine recently. get it from repco, they do NGK ones for $80-odd. much cheaper than holden's $120. you have to cannibalise the old adaptor tho, so you need a soldering iron if you go with repco's sensor.

S

stephenjh

Thanks Garth,
got me 21 and ripped it out, apart from a few burns there were no probs.

However, the non holden bit I just bought does not have the male half of the adapter. Jules mentions canabalising the old adapter. But what about just joining the wires ???? The original 02 sensor has a yellowish and black wire. The new is a blue and white wire. I am going to join the dark coloured wires (ie the blue and black) and the light ones together - right now. If anyone is out there aNd knows I shouldn't please tell me now. Otherwise I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks all
Stephen

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
that sounds right from memory. i'm not even sure that an 02 sensor is directional, it may not matter.

make sure you solder and seal the wires properly, don't just tie them up.

S

stephenjh

OK its done (replace o2 sensor) I cut the wires and twisted them together, wrapped em in lecky tape and folded them behind the A/C pipe. I know they should be soldiered but I have no iron. Anyway, that was a week ago and its still OK. I put $50 and got an extra 200 Ks out of a tank.
Now I am getting 450 to 470 a tank instead of 250 to 270.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, I appreciated all the assistance I recieved from all the JC regulars. I believe the problem is totally sorted now (well untill the heat in the engine bay melts the wires apart haha)

later all
Stephen

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
do you have a long range tank, or is the VPs tank bigger than the VNs?

the VN tank is 60 litres i think (guessing here), i can squeeze 400 km out of mine before i'm well into the red.

bad benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Hi guys

Just new to the forum. I have a VP commodore X cop car.

I am getting nearly 500k to a tank, which is pretty good I am told cause mine has chip and cam (just BT1{police pack} stuff). If I thrash guts out of it i get 350 k to a tank (mines 60 litre, some BT1 had 80 litre).

I find always check the computer for fault codes. Especially if the engine is idling rough or excesive fuel consumption.

Another 2 things I thought of while reading this was I read in the gregories manual.

If you want to see your injectors on/off period, you can jumper the 2 pins on the diagnosis connector and start and drvie the car. The engine warning light will then flash the on off ratio of the injector pulse. (not sure if light show exact timing or just a ratio). Book says when car is running properly engine light should be on then off for equal periods.

Also to check for fuel leaks. There are two pins in the diagnosis connector that can be joined together to make fuel pump run constantly to test for leaks. When the ignition is turned on the fuel pump will normally pressurise the line and then stop pumping. But with connector connected the pump just keeps running. any leaks will be evident upon inspection.

Jumpers are as follows

C & D on diagnosis connector ----> puts fuel pump in test mode, used with ignition on but engine not running to test for fuel leaks.

Just looked for 1/2 hour and cant find how to put it in the mode for checking injectors. But i definately remember reading it.

Good luck to you all

Bad Benny

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (MaNiac_VP @ Feb 15 2004, 10:26 PM) 63 litres on both of them.

Jules when was the last time u changed your plugs and filter?
arghh. i change those regularly! apart from idle problem as described it seems to run OK. i do a lot of stop-start driving