Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Filter How-To (VN - VS)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Under the same black cover that you lifted to find your fuel pump fuse, there are a row of large black cubes, which have white writing to the top of them. They should say BOSCH on them (or maybe not, I could be lying through my teeth).

But anyway, one of these should be labelled Fuel Pump. All you have to do is take it out :) Without the relay, no voltage will be sent to the pump, because the circuit will be left open... although you think removing the fuse would do that too :p (unless you removed the wrong one?)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
yep while the engine is running pull out the black cube in the fuse box in the engine bay labeled 'fuel pump relay' you might find its abbreviated like 'fuel rly' or something, the relays in mine have a yellow stripe through the centre of it.
once you have remove it, the engine will cut out within 5 to 10 seconds, once it has cut out crank it for like 5 seconds to relieve any extra pressure and your all set to remove filter

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
once the filter is removed hold a cloth over the intake and blow hard through the outlet on the filter and youll find a little surprise in the cloth if it really blocked up

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
thats tha one i removed tha large BOSCH relay, and she was still hummin along 10minutes later.................................???

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats tha one i removed tha large BOSCH relay, and she was still hummin along 10minutes later.................................???

these are only small relays, not the big ones

dumb blonde

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp commodore
so i can just slide under the car with no hassles?

gotta be SKINNY to fit under (LOL lucky me - hubby's too big). If you have the new filter already prepared with new hose and clamps it's a very quick job. Just be careful, I didn't get fuel in my eyes but where it landed on my arm it BURNT and left small blisters. Had to wash off with soap and water fast.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
Thank you very much for this write up. Very handy. Couldn't believe how much of a difference it made, old one must have been rat****.

Be good to sticky this.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
gotta be SKINNY to fit under (LOL lucky me - hubby's too big). If you have the new filter already prepared with new hose and clamps it's a very quick job. Just be careful, I didn't get fuel in my eyes but where it landed on my arm it BURNT and left small blisters. Had to wash off with soap and water fast.

OUCH! Sensitive skin?

The last three times I changed a fuel pump, I got my face and upper body DRENCHED in petrol - in my eyes, ears, nose, mouth... I never had any reactions though. I just got sick of the smell. You must have really sensitive skin! :p

spanner8888

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
Darren, i have a ss thunder is it much of a job changing the fuel filter on the ute regards trev