Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gaiter's 06 VZ SS Thunder

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Didn't get it back on the 11th like I had asked. Just got off the phone with them, will be ready for pickup tomorrow (Wed 16th) afternoon. His only issue was my badges being black, he won't paint them. Which is fair enough so he is going to leave them off and I had planned to re-dip all of them in my holidays anyway.

So the to do list for the Holidays (18th Dec - Jan 20th) is as follows:

Plasti-dip Badges
Engine covers back on (Did the blue properly this time, looks MUCH better. Will provide new pics)
Phreddy dash and aux-in (Re-scheduled for 19th of dec)
Sound deadening stage 1 and 2
Tune

R

Risky

I'll be interested in the plasti-dip badges. I put black ones on mine except for the 'S'.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Never done it before, but can tell that's how the previous owner did them. As they are starting to peel. But the look has grown on me and for like $20 or whatever the can cost's its a cheap enough mod even if temporary.

I will be using this thread as my guide Risky - DIY Matte Black emblems with Plastidip - No emblem removal required

Looks simple enough. I will take some pictures and let you know how it goes. No exact date planned yet. But as I said I will be on holidays and will get bored quickly so can't see it being after New Years to be honest.

R

Risky

Plasti-dip doesn't last that long. It's a good idea dont get me wrong & it's a good concept. The colour range is interesting. When the heat gets to it, it tends to feel funny. Do a test first & see what you think. Bad enough I'm being crucified in the thread regarding my exhaust.

Make sure the area you're Plasti-dipping is well clean as it will show up. At least you can peel it away if you don't like it.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I hear what you mean. I just can't think of anything else it could be besides the dip. I've tried finding a way to get the badges back on once removed (i.e. remove them, paint properly, re-badge), and cannot find anything useful out there.

And like I said it looks like the badges are peeling already. You now have me questioning it though, as I am moving to Brisbane soon and it will be more exposed to heat there than in Newcastle. I will do further research!

I did see the flaming in that exhaust thread, toasty. Meh wouldn't worry too much about it.

R

Risky

Well Newie isn't one of my favourite places as the rail line is getting torn up. The city will regret that later.

The problem with the badges is not de-badgeing them but trying to find decent double sided tape & cutting it into shape. My suggestion is that if you have an old badge floating around, try the plasti-dip on it first & that should give you an opinion. Leave it somewhere where you have the sun & you'll know if it's right for you. I was going to use it on the wiper surrounds but it was cheaper to repaint it.

Ahhh sunny Brisvegas. I caught a couple of nice girls up there many moons ago. Don't move to a flood prone area.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Well like I said, I am pretty sure all the badges have already been done in plasti-dip and it stands up well with the heat atm. Plus it's temporary stuff, so I'll do it while bored.

I have thought going the route of buying new badges and painting properly, then placing. The idea of getting them in the right spot worries me...

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Plastidip can get up to like 93 Degrees celcius when it dries, I'm sure in the sun it'll be more than fine. It flakes away overtime as it's easy to peel off, not because of the heat as such.

Someone on facebook was selling matt black badges for $30 each, if you want me to find them.