Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gaiter's 06 VZ SS Thunder

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Well update time. Trying to get roadworthy for Qld rego, turns out the tint is too dark. They took it to a tinted and he tested it. Legal limit is 35% and mine are apparently 6%

So time to get some quotes to get it removed and re done.

R

Risky

Bloody nanny state! Sun's too bright up there so you need dark window tinting.

Should have stopped off here in Port on the way. There's a good tint guy called Mr Tint next door to where I got my ute painted. He retinted my ute & Grand Vitara at an excellent price.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
The bloke who tested the tint, I went and saw him after picking up the ute. He re-did the test with me to show me the %'s, one window is 6% the other is 5%. He quoted me $150 to remove the tint, or if I use him to re-do in the legal level it will only be $90 + Tint cost. His cheapest tint option was $299 + $90 = $389 for removal and re-tint. It was for a reflective 35%, he also has a reflective carbon with awesome heat reduction (demonstrated this too me aswell) for $399 + $90 = $489.

Not sure at this point, currently looking around for other places I can see in the morning for additional quotes... I really really liked that tint, you couldn't see into the car, and it was blaaaack.

Edit: Got another quote with different information. Second tinter says back window can be as dark as I wish, his personally is 10%. But to check with the mechanic what they want. 1st tinter said all windows have to be less than 35%, despite logic (i.e. a ute with a load cant see out the back anyway). Called the mechanic, he said all windows as he personally used to have 10% on the back and got into a dispute with police/department of transport about it. However second bloke quoted me $300 for strip and all windows. Also $75 per window to remove.

Might just get it removed for rego transfer and then do more research into it. May change my car back to traditional silver badges/wheels if I cant get a good tint to suit.

Last edited:
R

Risky

That's still pretty expensive. You can remove it yourself if you're up to the challenge. The Mr Tint doesn't charge for removal as it only takes minutes to do. Mine's the darkest legal tint but he did say that in NSW the rear window can be darker as you're driving a commercial vehicle. You may need to check QLD laws for that.

Mine are pretty dark & you can't see in. I reckon those window tinters in QLD are an absolute rip-off.

Keep the black badges on it. They look cool.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Changed the oil. Great update right?

Getting a size-able tax return that I am currently debating it's use of. May convince myself to throw some money at the ute in the way of:

Rear shocks
Window Tint
Black Number plates
New plugs and leads (NEEDS)
Touch up paint

R

Risky

Well if you have some spare funds left over, do what I did to my interior.... Anthracite it!

Anthracite door assist handles (92123132) roughly $20 each
Anthracite Calais visors (92119442 & 92119443) roughly $60 each
Anthracite B pillar interior trim (92160813 & 92160814) roughly $35 each
Anthracite A pillar interior trim (92117976 & 92117977) roughly $145 each
Anthracite interior light (92119828) roughly $30

Black roof liner should be $200 with the same type of material as what's currently in you ute. Any more than $200 go elsewhere. Part numbers in brackets. You could always paint the A & B pillar trims yourself with matt black paint. My mate John used Wurth pressure packs on his & a pressure pack of plastic primer. Use scotchguard to scuff them, 1500 Wet & dry & prepwash before painting.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
My interior already is black, roof, pillars everything. Plus I like it the way it is currently, only thing I am still in two minds about is the silver finish on steering wheel/centre console surrounds.. But seen some people paint this black (matte/gloss), vinyl wrap, etc and none look great. So interior staying as is.

Edit: If this is the texture that Anthracite is - http://vyfab.com/product/holden-anthracite/ - then that is what my roof already is. Same colour too.

R

Risky

Ahh yours is a a late model ute. I should have judged by the year. Anthracite (black) was standard before they came out with the VE ute range. That material in the link is the correct anthracite in mine. It's hard to take photos of the roof lining now as it doesn't show up the detail.

I think on your centre console, it should be black where mine is pewter. I ordered a new centre console as the top of mine has cracked & around the dials/vents are a matte black finish. I checked the date of manufacture on the plastic & it was December 2005. I'm getting my new one painted in pewter to match the rest of the console. The pewter finish around the cluster is good on mine so I'll leave it as it is.

Vinyl wrap is crap. People who use it on their vehicles are covering rust spots & stone chip marks. It's popular here in Port with those who drive VW Amaroks (anoraks) & faux WRX's. Pressure pack cans have their place like the wiper surrounds to keep them fresh, but I was surprised how it worked well in my mate's ute on the neutral plastic on the A pillars etc. I'll take photos to show the results.

If you're talking about the satin chrome on the steering wheel inserts, they are worth it if you want to break up the interior a bit. I have them on mine as the original grey didn't suit it.
satin%20spokes.JPG

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Yea mine are the chrome like the picture.

Yea my console is all black too.

A new starter may have to go to the top of my list, got the infamous click click click yesterday afternoon. It eventually cranked after a few goes. Didn't have anything to give the starter a smack with...