Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
You would normally run it from where the mains enters your property. Take off for a gate valve after the meter, then master valve, then individual station valves thereafter and run the piping to wherever it has to go.

You've had the perfect opportunity to do it with all of the "blank" dirt you've had prior to concreting etc.

Much better than having to manually water everything. Might be a bit of a novelty in the beginning bit it wears thin pretty quickly.

Fully agree. A week over 30 degrees and the grass is cooked. Moving sprinklers is a pain in the arse...

It isn't too bad cost wise if you do it yourself. I'm lucky though having a bore there is awesome pressure so don't need half a dozen stations.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Turf looks awesome Troy! keep it wet but not soggy is all I can say. Best part about it nearly three months on (other than how awesome it looks) is it's still yet to allow a single weed to grow! (touch wood)

I had irrigation in my lawn before I ripped it all out and started fresh and returfed (see page 1). I'm one of the few that gets massive enjoyment and relaxation from watering. I don't use sprinklers. I hand water. I can be VERY picky and precise with how much water every part of the lawn gets. If a patch needs more, it gets more, etc.

I'm going to re-turf the front lawn next week (Santa Anna Couch this time). Same again with the hand watering. Although I'm leaving the irrigation in this time simply because it's much more effort to remove.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Fully agree. A week over 30 degrees and the grass is cooked. Moving sprinklers is a pain in the arse...

It isn't too bad cost wise if you do it yourself. I'm lucky though having a bore there is awesome pressure so don't need half a dozen stations.

Our old place had a bore, submersible pump, clean and non smelling. Bores rock.

I had irrigation in my lawn before I ripped it all out and started fresh and returfed (see page 1). I'm one of the few that gets massive enjoyment and relaxation from watering. I don't use sprinklers. I hand water. I can be VERY picky and precise with how much water every part of the lawn gets. If a patch needs more, it gets more, etc.

I'm going to re-turf the front lawn next week (Santa Anna Couch this time). Same again with the hand watering. Although I'm leaving the irrigation in this time simply because it's much more effort to remove.

I don't mind a bit of hand watering. Agree, it can be theraputic with the hose in one hand and a beer in the other but I hate it being a must do or the lawn is dead scenario.

Our new place has retic, it's just that it wasn't/isn't in the best state of repair. Issues include,

All stations disconnected at the controller
When connected, none fire due to all the wires being cut between the controller and the valves.
Out of 5 stations, 3 valves work manually. The other two do nothing.
There is cut/damaged pipe everywhere.
Probably 90% of the spray heads or risers being taken off so when I get a station working water just bubbles up from the gorund like those mud fields in NZ.

I got the back lawn working, along with a small section of verge. The remainder of the verge, the front lawn and the garden beds all need hand watering until I pull my finger out and start tracing pipes to locate damaged points to repair, re-wire the valve/controller connection and probably replace all of the valves. At least they are all in one spot rather than being randomly placed around the garden.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
So just to clarify... "Retic" is just some Perth word for "irrigation" yeah?

And by "verge" do you mean the council owned "nature strip"? It's illegal to install irrigation into that in my council area...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah, retic = reticulation and verge = nature strip.

Everyone that has retic also has it on the verge. It's just how we roll over here.

Our old place was on a corner block and had shed loads of lawn all the way around.....all retic'd from the bore. I got jack of taking two hours to do the lawn (including edging and whipper snipping) and the other general maintenance of soil wetting, fertilising etc so I removed around half of it (probably 200m2 +) and replaced with native plants, drip lines and mulch. Looked better, saved time, water, fertiliser etc. All round much better.

No issues with the council. In fact many councils encourage planting out of verges with native species with a view to reducing water use.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Stoopid double post.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I managed to get 2 coats of paint on the screen posts today because it was fairly hot in the direct sun and the paint dried in no time. I also put most of the screening on but I was 6 lengths short (because when I bought it I wasn't too sure how high it would end up being). I'm going to put a planter box against the short run but that'll be when we're at the finishing touches stage.

9109198F-76A8-43DE-9E50-B998497B6593_zpsuktxjl5b.jpg

A48C8921-D92B-491D-BAB3-4EE663050803_zpsgw5zlcdi.jpg

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
So just to clarify... "Retic" is just some Perth word for "irrigation" yeah?

And by "verge" do you mean the council owned "nature strip"? It's illegal to install irrigation into that in my council area...

If anything, its encouraged to have retic on your verge, as it would be dead otherwise. I know most councils now are pushing for / handing out rebates for native garden verge and they have to have retic/irrigation installed. Perth is hot, dry and incredibly sandy, so water leaches away quickly.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I finished my screen today, I reckon it looks the goods. My old man and brother in law have been helping out the last 2 weeks and they kept saying that I should have continued with the pool fencing on that side but I think it would have been way too much and looked a little silly. I think my idea of a 2 sided screen looks much better and when we get the shade sail up it'll define the area. I also think the shade sail is going to make it much more of a casual setting, especially when there's a nice outdoor lounge up there which will make it an ideal place to watch the kids while they're playing on the grass.

D1A8FF2D-F46B-4718-9CBE-94BCEC3ADCEC_zps7jki74ti.jpg

EDCC50BA-364D-472E-B3FE-F19EF31ED2D4_zpsooxt8wsr.jpg

5F9ADAC4-1959-45A2-9C89-0B9E3CA6940B_zps2jflsjln.jpg

Last edited:

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Mowed my lawn today even whipper snipped and pruned a few bushes looks awesome
Pics coming later