Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Rajesh Koothrappali, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Edals

Native couch tends to burn pretty easily. I think it's due to the very fine leaf which holds little water so the heat hits it pretty hard. Yes it will recover quickly after watering but will continue to brown off badly the next hot day. I'm not sure how to keep it from doing that.

Our lawns are a bit of a mixed bag and its interesting to see how the various grasses
    respond to the heat. The buffalo holds up well and seems to thrive in the hotter weather if kept watered. Kikuyu has popped up on the footpath in a number of spots amongst the couch and isolated buffalo patches are also present.

The couch browns off quickly but the others remain green so the footpath is patchy. If you want a permanently green lawn regardless of heat, you probably need something other than couch.

Sheldon Cooper and edals like this.
  2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Liberally wet an area, preferrably where there is exposed soil.

Does the water soak in staight away or does it pool on top ? Or gradually appear to soak in ?

Once the water disappears, scrape away the soil to see how damp it is beneath the surface.

If it is only damp a few mm below the surface and dry thereafter, the soil will be hydrophobic. If that is the case, you will need to apply soil wetter. If using the dry form, it needs to be well watered in to activate it, ie it will turn white with the application of water. Alternatively, there is also a liquid form available in a container that you connect to your hose and spray over the lawn. Depending on the severity of the hydrophobia, you may need to make multiple applications.

If the soil is hydrophobic, no amount of water will make any difference to a plant's growth habit.

After rectifying the hydrophobia, I always apply seasol. Same application method as the liquid soil wetter. The seasol helps
    the lawn (or any other plant for that matter) build stroger cell structures to assist in drought & disease resistance.

Finally, a decent lawn food to feed the beast. Nothing survives without food. I'm using Baileys Brilliance at the moment which works well.

It is possible to have green, healthy couch in hot weather. You just need to spend the time giving it some ongoing TLC.

I expect you have pretty sandy soils on the Goldie, as we do here in Perth, so any plant needs all the help it can get.

edals likes this.
  3. edals

edals Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VY
    Thanks for the input guys.
    The house is built in a new estate, and its on very hard rocky clay.
    The land scapers did a shit of a job with the turf. The back yard is on a bit of a slop then flattens out. The grass on the slope struggles the most, no doubt due to water run off. The flat areas are ok and still greenish. The soil is damp a little underneath but soon as it hits the clay it won't soak in much. Its about 1 inch of top soil on top of the rocky clay.
    I did 2 weeks ago feed it with lawn builder and lawn grub killer.
    Ill look into a lawn wetter and see if that helps it out. but as mentioned the hot sun burning the leaf might be a loosing battle and a waste of water and $$

4. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper New Member

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    From what I know, couch doesn't like the heat and isn't as drought tolerant as others. But I don't know much about it. A friend of mine put couch at the front of his place down here and it died despite him watering it just because summer got so hot! He was always complaining about how much effort the couch was just to keep it alive, let alone looking lush.
    He replaced it with buffalo like he has out the back.

I do agree with the comments about where the water is going. You need to make sure it's soaking in. It's the root system that needs to get the water and nutrients.

In terms of green, I use dynamic lifter once a year and Seasol a few times a year. I couldn't be happier with mine at the moment. Just a few small patches of the new turf that died off that I've ripped out and filled with soil and runners are already closing over them. This is right now!

[​IMG]

Calaber, edals and VS 5.0 like this.
  5. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Ahhh...that is an issue then. The clay will prevent the roots getting any real depth.

In my experience, couch has a reasonably deep root structure. I expect the roots being too shallow would be effecting its ability to cope with hot weather.

Apart from ripping it all up and dealing with the clay issue by either removing that to a greater depth and placing a deeper layer of topsoil &/or applying gypsum to the clay and toiling it through with soil I'm not sure what else you could do.

Sheldon Cooper, Calaber and edals like this.
  6. kiwicon

kiwicon Member

Members Ride:
    VS V8 Manual
    Maybe pitchfork the shit out of it and rake over some sand??

7. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Road Boss

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi// HZ Tonner//Road Boss
    Not my place, but some shots of a recent job i did. Shed slab cut, laser is an awesome piece of kit to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VS_Pete and Sheldon Cooper like this.
  8. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    So crappy pics but pics none the less. Cars are in, junk is in, driveway was done Friday. Just need to get rid of a bit more junk and get a beer fridge and I'm set.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EYY, Drawnnite, Gaiter and 4 others like this.
  9. Sheldon Cooper

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    Nice Sab! How's the new business coming along?

10. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Sandman that is great enjoy

Sandman likes this.
  11. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Road Boss

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi// HZ Tonner//Road Boss
    Business is going really well, when im not breaking things that is!

Busted a drive motor last Monday. $3600 later and the part's on its way. Should be here tomorrow fingers crossed.

Bought myself a new truck though, the little one just wasnt cutting it anymore.

[​IMG]

And, current truck for comparison:

[​IMG]

EYY, edals, kiwicon and 2 others like this.
  12. Troy711

Troy711 Retired Old Fart Staff Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
    I real updates for my yard, it's still a work in progress. Hoping to get the rest of the concrete done over Christmas and then a few bits and pieces.

Sheldon Cooper likes this.
  13. Sheldon Cooper

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    A bit over two months after I laid it and I have to say I'm very VERY happy with how our lawn is looking... :D :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

edals likes this.
  14. Trennaa

Trennaa Active Member

Members Ride:
    Qwerty
    Afternoon ladies and gents.

Want to get some ideas and opinions. I'm in a rental house, but im sure the idea I have will have zero problems being passed by the land lord.

I want to ultimately have a fluro light tube fixed to the porch, piggy backed/wired in with the original light fitting. (see picture attached). Firstly, I have no issues in fitting the light myself, I would imagine its all just screws into the timber. Secondly, with wiring - i'm guessing this is a sparky's job to do. I have added a second image to show what the area is actually for. It's my little 'beer garden' and hte lighting at the moment is very below poor.

backyard.png
    backyard1.png

15. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Sparkies job and you should also probably get the landlords permission.

Are there any outdoor power points there ? Alternative could be spotties running of an extension cord. Easy to take with you when you leave and no sparky or landlord's permission required.

16. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    You'd get a lot more light in if that filthy roof could be pressure cleaned. If you're prepared to instal the light at your expense, when seeking approval from the landlord, ask if that can be done by him. I imagine it would be his responsibility under your lease agreement to at least maintain the house in a reasonable and clean condition.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  17. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Other options would be to remove the light shade and simply have the exposed globe running. This will give you more light instantly. If needed put a brighter globe in there as well (while leaving the shade removed) or buy a light with a bayonet fitting (assuming the existing fitting is a bayonet) and length of cord that you can then affix somewhere more appropriate.

18. Jecs

Jecs PAVTEK Race Engines Staff Member

Members Ride:
    '97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
    Didnt know if this was the right area to post - Its no mansion with on acres, but this its my little slice of heaven

I honestly had no idea what to look for in a home, I told my parents I wanted a home similar to my mates old home (old Victorian style I think its called) and they were honestly the 2 people that made it happen. Without their support I would have been lost.

Future plans: my main goal is to build a pitched pergola from the back of the garage (knock down the old 'thing') and have it end where the old one ends. I think the pitched roof will give it the illusion its a bigger area than a flat roof (hoping anyway) lay some new carpet, paint the walls, and grass out the back.

(NOTE: pictures are from the real estate ad - not my furniture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The story:

The house was Advertised for $349-$369k. My mum went and looked at it then called me saying it was the one, so we organised an inspection and I instantly fell in love with it too. My dad stepped in after this point (hes got alot of properties under his belt so he knew what was best) long story short, the sellers agree'd to $330k (yep)

everything was going smooth as hell, my loan was going through commonwealth bank, I had signed all the papers - at this point I had put down a 30k deposit on the home. Then the nightmare began...

I received a phone call from the bank manager I was dealing with saying theirs been a problem (even tho i was assured a million times everything is set in stone) Commonwealth bank has been my bank since I was a little kid (and only them) they had access to ALL my records. The issue he said was lack of sufficient savings. at the time - I had 20k that was in my goalsaver account, and he kept hounding me saying who gave you the money, was it a gift etc etc I kept saying what? Its money ive saved? not entirely sure what the problem was.. he ended the phone call by saying sorry, we are unable to support your loan.

now i purchased my house in January, we have to rewind to November the year before. that 20k was in a term deposit that had matured, I went in to the bank to discuss what months were paying high interests, she told me that no term deposits were paying well and opt to put in a goal saver. gave her the ok and went on with my day. what I didnt know, was instead of transferring the money across - she *pulled it out* and then deposited into the goal saver. believe it or not this some how wiped all proof of this money i had saved from many years. Even the evidence of monthly deposits into this account were not sufficient as the proof of this account had magically disappeared.

I began stressing, parents assured me it would work out. So they called and we had a meeting with the real estates broker. she was absolutely AWESOME! I was already saving 8k dealing with NAB over commonwealth. But the problem of this insufficient proof of savings got brought up with this 20k also. I went back to my local commo bank and this poor branch manager spent 30 mins trying to get me something that was proof. in the end she got me (I want you to picture this) a blank sheet of paper, commo bank logo, a small print that said my name, a date (3 months earlier) and a figure. thats it! lol

and with that.. it sealed the fate of that house, I got the keys and i was a damn happy boy!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    EYY, Trayner, Sabbath' and 1 other person like this.
  19. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    VZ LX8 Adventra, VP SS
    Congrats to Jecs on joining the rest of us as slaves to the bank. The Mrs and I bought some dirt a few weeks back too :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    EYY, Trayner and Sabbath' like this.
  20. VS_Pete

VS_Pete Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
    Congrats