Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gardening / Landscaping

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
If your in Perth and have sandy soils (like 99% of perth), I'd be doing more than just a turf underlay. I'd suggest adding clay (soil solver I found good, but there are others like sand remedy etc), and a good dose of either compost or you can get soil concentrates specifically for lawn from greenlife soil company. Anything to turn the grey shitty lifeless sand into something more of a loam that will support the lawn without the need for massive doses of fertiliser (that just mostly leaches away into the rivers anyway).
Result will be a lawn that uses way less water and is much much healthier. I did this to my rear lawn, and the difference to the front lawn which didn't receive anything special is staggering. Back lawn requires probably half the water, has no issues with weeds, pests or dry patches while the front lawn has taken me two years of work aerating, adding amendments and all manner of other works to get it to the same standard.

So you would suggest sandy loam underneath the grass instead of something like landscapers mix?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd want something like this Grass Surfaced Parking System

It's a mesh that you lay which will support a car but will allow the grass to grow
Found that exact site just after I posted this, found some aussie mobs that do it too which looks real promising at this point.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
So you would suggest sandy loam underneath the grass instead of something like landscapers mix?

Absolutely. Most landscape mixes are a one size fits all that will start off ok, but are more suited to garden beds and even then wont provide any longevity. The problem in Perth is the sand...it just holds on to nothing. Its lifeless. Adding clay in small amounts gives it some oomph, then its a matter of bringing the soil to life (literally - microbes etc) with compost and other amendments. People also add rock minerals and there is a heap of other natural products on the market that feed the soil. Healthy soil- healthy plants.

Its paid dividends for me, as I am fifo a lot of the time and need my garden to be able to survive with auto retic and not a lot of human intervention for weeks at a time!

Ex was a mad keen horticulturalist and Perth is a unique place gardening wise. Learnt a lot!

Dont do what they do in the new estates; plant on sand, dump heaps of fertiliser and have a green lawn that grows like mad above ground but has pathetic little root system below ground and has no strength. (please dont do this)

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
Absolutely. Most landscape mixes are a one size fits all that will start off ok, but are more suited to garden beds and even then wont provide any longevity. The problem in Perth is the sand...it just holds on to nothing. Its lifeless. Adding clay in small amounts gives it some oomph, then its a matter of bringing the soil to life (literally - microbes etc) with compost and other amendments. People also add rock minerals and there is a heap of other natural products on the market that feed the soil. Healthy soil- healthy plants.

Its paid dividends for me, as I am fifo a lot of the time and need my garden to be able to survive with auto retic and not a lot of human intervention for weeks at a time!

Ex was a mad keen horticulturalist and Perth is a unique place gardening wise. Learnt a lot!

Dont do what they do in the new estates; plant on sand, dump heaps of fertiliser and have a green lawn that grows like mad above ground but has pathetic little root system below ground and has no strength. (please dont do this)

Thanks for the advice I definitely wont lay it straight on sand. I will lay 100mm of sandy loam before laying my grass.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
When you're sick and can't mow the new lawn for a few weeks and every strip is a full catcher load! I won't be letting it get that long ever again if I can avoid it! About 3 - 4 weeks growth. Albeit with perfect growing conditions, sun, rain and no scorching temps etc. Still loving the new lawn!

IMG_4141.jpg

And so does my boy when it's freshly mowed! He also did the rolling around on it and rubbing his face on it. Hilarious! LOL!

Harley on the fresh mown grass!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
lol at your 1/4 horse !!

Kyk will do that to you. Need to show it who's master.

While we're on lawns, thought I would chuck up some pics of ours.

The verge.....wasn't in the best condition when we moved in last August after having copped a bit of a hammering from the tradies during our reno's plus having a skip, piles of carpet and other waste stacked on it. No before pics but it is coming along OK after aeration with a pitch fork and a smashing with soil wetter, seasol and Bailey's Brilliance.

DSCN6333_zpsmstz4idg.jpg

The verge on the other side of the driveway. The rehab on this section started much later than the main verge but it is starting to get there now.

DSCN6334_zpszcscxrn6.jpg

The front lawn. Wan't in too bad a condition initially although it was a bit weedy and again was extremely hydrophobic. Same treatment as the verge got it going OK.

DSCN6331_zpsrfp3ynbg.jpg

Finally the back lawn. Was the best of the lot initially. Still needed the same treatment as the other areas and is going well.

DSCN6336_zpsggrcpgrc.jpg

All in all surviving the hot and dry weather so far this season although Feb is usually our worst month so hopefully I can keep it in good order. The prep at the start of the season should have set it up to tough it out although there are a few spots on the verge and the front lawn that could probably do with another dose of soil wetter.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Nice! Impressive recovery there! I should try that out the front of our place rather than the cost of returfing...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Well worth investing some time and a few dollars to see if you can get it going. Generally you should do OK. Sure beats the cheat of returfing and gives you that satisfaction of having done it yourself.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Has been a little while since I posted.. so, I might throw a couple of photos of my little escape outside. Again - I'm restricted a bit with what I can do as a renter, however, I try and make the best of what I have....
20160214_192137_zps9t2ricaw.jpg
20160214_192125_zpsqer1od76.jpg