Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GAS consumption

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I just got a car on duel fuel. It has a 90 litre tank for the gas that naturally lets you fill it to 70 ltrs max.

I cant even get 300 kmh's out of it, maybe around 250 - 270 max. AND this is driving very sedately.

Does this seem right to you? Should I be getting alot more? Thanks. Any and all opinions appreciated...

BrianH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE
Generally a dual fuel car that has not been modified in any way to suit gas will use about 12 to 15% more gas to go the same distance it would have gone on petrol. It also gives you slightly less power but you can always switch back to petrol if, in certain situations, you consider that a problem.

If you want the best possible performance and economy on gas then dual fuel is not the way to go. Gas is a higher octane and therefor a slower burning fuel than petrol. This means it should be ignited sooner. If you advance you ignition timing at idle to suit gas, it will over advance at high speed on gas and ping its head off on petrol. Because of this most dual fuel cars are simply set up for petrol and the owners are so accustomed to driving them they don't notice the slight reduction in performance or the small increase in fuel consumption. Gas is usually just under half the price of petrol, the overall savings work out at about 45 to 50% so the whole thing looks worthwhile.

Straight gas with engine modifications is the best way to go and not having the option of petrol should not be a problem unless you do a lot of driving in remote parts of the Outback. A gas engine should have more compression, a modified ignition system, a different camshaft, a cold air intake, any manifold heating system disconnected, a lower temperature thermostat and a few other minor things. Some of those things are cheap to do but others are not and the cost would have to be weighed up against the advantages. The thing that will make the most difference is the ignition and that is a must even if you don't touch anything else.

What I have said so far applies to carburettor engines. I have not had any experience with gas and modern engine management systems. It would be interesting to see what Ford has done with its gas Falcons. I don't know if they are dual fuel or gas only. If dual it should be easy enough to have a second ignition program in the computer that comes in when the car is switched to gas.

With your car comtim, I would make sure everthing is tuned correctly for petrol and then do an accurate consumption test. Make sure what you get is in accordance with what the car is supposed to do. Repeat the test on gas and see if the difference is within limits. If it is not then have the gas system checked and adjusted.

Brian

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Thanks Brian!

I think I am going to take it to a gas fitting place and get them to tune it to gas exclusively. I dont envisage running petrol very often if at all. Maybe every once in a while to lub. the fuel system...

BrianH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP EXECUTIVE
I should have added one more thing to that last post. If you are building a new straight gas engine from the ground up and everything is done correctly to suit gas, the difference in performance and fuel consumption when compared to petrol should be neglible.

Brian

comtim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Nah, I have a standard VP V6 with a gas conversion on it. The previous owner used to service it himself, so I dare say its not tuned to run on gas at all properly. I hope sp at least, cause it runs fine but there is just no power!!

Going to get CAI and extractors as well. Hopefully that will help as well. Has a 2.5 inch cat back already.

DF_Media

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina V6
I am running a VN Berlina on Duel Fuel - 99% GAS - I get about 350 running around town and about 500kms on a GAS tank highway - I think the most I have gotten is about 620 on a tank of GAS - so if your running it sedately then you should expect more than 300 on a tank