Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gearbox oil

v6 panelvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wb panelvan
hey guys,

just wanting some conformation on how much oil my gearbox takes to refill from dry? i have a 96 vs commodore with a M30 or 4L60E automatic gearbox. my gregorys says it takes 7.9L to refill from dry but the bloke at the local auto spares reckons its only 4.8L? so yea just wanting some conformation.

cheers

matt

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if you dropped the sump then it will only take about 4 liters. if you did a complete rebuild and fitted a new converter then it will take a lot more fluid

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As immortality says, a normal service where you drop the sump and replace the filter will take 4.8 litres. A dry refill - where the transmission is totally devoid of oil (either new or reco) will take 7.9 litres. Sounds like you're doing a normal service so just buy 5 litres of Dexron3 and use what's left over (200ml) to top up the power steering reservoir.

v6 panelvan

Reaction score
Members Ride
wb panelvan
thanks heaps guys, re read the gregoreys and i saw the part where it says, service refill 4.8L lol. it wasnt just a normal service tho, i took the engine and box out of the commodore for an engine conversion and had the box off the engine with the tourque convertor out, so im guessing it will need more oil then just a service refill?

cheers guys

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yes it would, depending on if you have a cooler and what size cooler it will need more than stock.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
It may or may not need the dry fill amount as oil is still held in the convertor plus the nooks and crannies so just play it by ear. Fill the trans on level ground till the dipstick say full, start car and run for 30 secs, turn off and check dipstick. You may have to do this a few times and the last time you do this only fill to just above the low mark as it is supposed to be measured at operating temperature and the oil expands.