Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getrag Issues, And need help. Thanks

the_duke

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need some help with my Series 3 Vs ute. With a getrag gear box.

Here are my questions, and ideas.

I have got a "Billet" Short shift kit, And have always found it hard to shift into 1st gear unless going very slowly. I mean very. Almost stopped. And have to double clutch and give it a rev occupationally. Its been there with the original shifter also.

I am wanting to know what is causing this? Clutch or what? I'm not sure.

So please discuss and help a mate out.

Cheers

BTW, Very happy with the "BILLET" Short shift. Best upgrade i have done on my car. Wicked recommend to anyone.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Could be wrong but it sounds like your box is overdue for a hydraulic fluid change. When was this done last? Fresh gearbox oil should also help a little to glide into gear.

the_duke

Reaction score
oh really. Well i have never done it. So im sure it cant hurt. Ill try it.

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
yea like cander24 said put some nice new oil in.. mayde add some transmission oil additives that claim ot makes it easier to change gears (couldnt hurt)... if that doesnt solve the problem then i'd say your 1st gear synchros are probably worn.. and unless you wanna fork out for a reco you'll just have to live with it lol.. reco's arent cheap either.. unless you wanna try it yourself and get angry and frustrated and take a month to put it back together just to save a bit of cash like i did!.. i have a bit of a problem thinking i can do everything :p lol.. went back together but.. feels great.. learnt a shitload.. and saved money... and if i did it again i'd do it in a weekend i think... lol
anyway back on topic... try the new oil and see how it goes..

Hey Guys,

I have got a "Billet" Short shift kit, And have always found it hard to shift into 1st gear unless going very slowly. I mean very. Almost stopped.

Why do you wanna shift back to 1st unless you're going slow anyway? lol

also i agree.. short shifter is definately money well spent:yeah:

Adam

the_duke

Reaction score
Mate i am meaning Slow, less than crawling.

What does a reco consist of?

Does any one have any info on how to change the tranny oil? Like instructions or how to's?

Thanks

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
Mate i am meaning Slow, less than crawling.

What does a reco consist of?

Does any one have any info on how to change the tranny oil? Like instructions or how to's?

Thanks

a reco consists of replacing all synchros, bearings and seals.. all that comes in a reco kit which includes new roll pins and clips and just all little bits and pieces inside the box... also anything else thats worn out like if any of you're gears are badly damaged you'd want to replace them...

ive never changed the oil in a getrag as i have a T5 in my car, however basically its the same as changing your engine oil... find the plug on the bottom and drain the old oil, screw the plug back in.
THEN im pretty sure will have to take your centre console off (just the part around the gear selecter not the whole thing) and pull the rubber boot around the selecter off.. now get under the car and find the fill plug and take it out.... get a piece of hose that fits into the hole (i just use garden hose)
and cut it long enough so it can go through the hole in the transmission tunnel down into the gearbox... now just fill it up through the hose to the amount of oil that is recomended.. and you're done =]

hope that helps

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.

Thanks

On the bottom of the gearbox towards the tailshaft you will see one bolt head (about 19mm from memory) remove this and this wil drain your gearbox oil. Once this is all drained put the drain bolt back in and then remove the filler bolt plug which I think is the same size as the drain one. It is located on the drivers side of the gearbox near where it says "Getrag" on the alloy casing. Just fill it up then until the oil overflows and comes back out of the hole then put the plug back in. It should hold just under 2 litres from memory.
I did mine recently and was able to fill it up from under the car using the extendable hose that comes on a Penrite gearbox oil bottle.
But I would also seriously be looking at flushing the hydraulic clutch fluid as any bit of air or condensation in the line will affect its operation and how smooth it is. This should be changed as often as you bleed your brakes.

Jorgo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
I had a similar problem on my old mini (yeah I know its not a commodore, but there you go). Mechanic said the syncro on 1st never lines up as well as the rest so if you are stopped before you put it into gear put it in 2nd THEN go to 1st. Will line it up much easier. If you are slowing down just come to a stop in 2nd. You won't need to shift back all the way to 1st when you are moving all that often.
And change your gearbox oil more often than you normally would will help you extend the life of it a bit

the_duke

Reaction score
awesome guys, Thats a great help. What oil do you recommend? synthetic or what?

Ill go take a look at it now then get some oil tomorrow.

Thanks

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I'm not sure what it takes, but you should find the specs in your owners manual.