Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glue advice for fixing roof lining.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I've cleaned the roof board and I have my foam backed material. Now I need advice on glue.

I got 1 litre of Selley Kiwk Grip waterbased contact adhesive (not spray). Did you guy who have done it, apply some on both surfaces, let tack, and push together? Or did you only apply glue to the cardboard? Just let it stay wet and put together, and let dry over a day?

Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers guys.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I used a spray glue, both sides, let it tack then apply. I did it myself and rolled the material around a broom handle so I could control when it touched the cardboard and stretch it at the same time. Fiddly but managed to get it smooth. I also used a small paint roller to smooth out over without leaving any deep impressions like finger marks.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I used a spray glue, both sides, let it tack then apply. I did it myself and rolled the material around a broom handle so I could control when it touched the cardboard and stretch it at the same time. Fiddly but managed to get it smooth. I also used a small paint roller to smooth out over without leaving any deep impressions like finger marks.

same here , very carefully sprayed then used a small paint roller to smooth it out , been fine for a about a year so far .

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
The Selley Kiwk Grip waterbased contact adhesive is not working for the foam backed lining, it put it on and over an hour later it has not started to go clear, its still wet. I took the cold, wet environment out of the equation by doing it in a room with 3 heaters going. its very warm in there.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Spray adhesive. Both sides and you get one hit at getting it right. The only way to go though, and totally forget that water based [email protected] it out.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I used this spray glue... Used a couple of cans ... You can buy it straight from them on line
Been good for a year or so ... I used the yellow quick grip to do the places you can't see like the bits that wrap around the edges

In most cases it's the foam that decays and let's the lining sag in the first place

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
So I got some Selley Kwik Grip (Horizontal) (was free), and I've tried testing that. But if I put it on a piece of test cardboard and some on a small cutoff of the fabric, let it touch dry and put them together, but the grip is very minimal. I can peel it apart even after 2 hours. It has grip, but not permanent grip.

Just for a test I got a strip of the fabric, put the Kwik Grip on it, allowed it to touch dry and folded it in half and pressed together and it had no grip at all, just slid apart.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
From memory it was the orange can

130526-LowE_2.jpg