Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM Tech 2 - Captiva engine light is ON

A-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva 3.2 V6
A man. The problem you are having should be the oil pressure sensor switch. It is a very common fault on alloytec engines. See my earlirr post above. I had to replace it on my 2006 Captiva and it solved the problem.

I interpret your earlier post that it was just a how to replace and not the solution, but thanks for your reply.
I think your right a shearch on the web and you discover that there are many gm engines with faulty oil sensor switch.
Mine has only gone 78 000km = 48466 so i guess age is more cause for the issue then ware.

Ordered one AC Delco oem part from ebay 18$ + 22$ for shipping :yeah: and a china noname part for 10$ that seller claims is original ac delco i doubt it but would be suprised if the cheaper part will run just fine.
Did you replace it your self or leave it in at the dealer, what did they charge?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's easy enough to get at if you unscrew the filter first but it requires a special socket which you can get from Repco for about $18 or so.

The sender fails because it leaks internally and oil shorts out the circuitry in the switch. When you disconnect the wiring from the switch you should find the connector will be pretty oily. Make sure you clean it out thoroughly before refitting it to the new switch

A-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva 3.2 V6
It's easy enough to get at if you unscrew the filter first but it requires a special socket which you can get from Repco for about $18 or so.

The sender fails because it leaks internally and oil shorts out the circuitry in the switch. When you disconnect the wiring from the switch you should find the connector will be pretty oily. Make sure you clean it out thoroughly before refitting it to the new switch

Ok good point, i have ordered two Oil pressure switches on AC Delco from the USA 18 $ for part and 22$ for shipping :lmao:
And also a switch from china 10$ and free shipping, it claims its original delco i doubt it but a ordered it also just to compare the two of them.

Ill get back to you when the operation on vehicle is done.
I have driven the car for 3 weeks with check engine light on the dash so assume that this is the problem and not oil pressure since oil pressure light illuminates when key is turned but not driving.
Surprised because the engine oil pressure ligt should come on, does it read its values from the sensor?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
As far as I know it's the only sensor related to the lubrication system. The engine warning light can be illuminated by a number of component failures but the oil pressure sensor is the most common.

It's actually a rather cheap and nasty design.

A-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva 3.2 V6
As far as I know it's the only sensor related to the lubrication system. The engine warning light can be illuminated by a number of component failures but the oil pressure sensor is the most common.

It's actually a rather cheap and nasty design.

But if the oil sensor i bad should the light for oil pressure (oil can) illuminate also?
Shame that they made it so damn hard to get to otherwise this could been done at the parking lot.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Just replace the sensor to start with and check the oil level before starting the engine. I'm pretty sure you will eliminate all the warning lights but it's possible that you will find they need to be cleared with the scan tool at a garage.

From recollection replacing the sensor took care of the warning lights.

I remember that when another switch on my Captiva failed the warning lights on the dash lit up like a Christmas tree but replacement of the faulty component fixed them all.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
supercheap do code reading/reset I`m sure if necessary

Pro Moto Mechanical

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SV6 Commodore 3.6
If the check engine light came straight back on after the engine was started then theres either a problem with the oil pressure or the oil pressure sensor. Most likely the sensor is cactus..
Just keep in mind, sometimes the oil level sensors play up which can also send a intermittent DTC and show up as a oil pressure switch, but that is not always the case, if you hear a dry rattling noise that can be due to your oil pickup being blocked from carbon build up and burnt oil which builds up in the motor due to not servicing regularly and using the wrong oil which can then cause timing chain failure, cam shafts to break or get obsessive wear on bearing surfaces. If you have a multi metre you can do a ohms resistance check on your sensors to make sure they're in spec, but just a heads up the ecu/pcm and bcms are known for playing up on these models. Hope this helps.

Singer62

Reaction score
Members Ride
Captiva 2009
Any help would be great. I'm having trouble with my Engine light. Sometimes it's on, but if I put fuel in the car or top up the water in the Window Washer it will go out. I had the Machanic check the Codes and they said it was showing up issues with the Alternator, Timing Chain and Oil Filter.... I think. They couldn't clear the light and said I need to go back and get the diognoisitics checked. Why would it go out when I top up with Fuel ECT????