Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good price for a mafless tune

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
License is around $100 for your VIN. So take off the $100 and that's what they're making off your tune.

Basic mafless tunes are very "generic"

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Thanks for the link lease1.

Yeah I don't know much about them Sabbath, but, according to that link, it's not a base tune that place does.

I'll hit him up for some more details tomorrow, plus tell him what has been said.

Cheers

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Can I suggest that if internals are stock (or close to stock ie. standard cam/tb/heads/etc) he would probably be better off to look on ebay as you can get exchange ecu's programmed with mafless tunes, from repeutable companies. The ecu is sent to you and you plug it in and you send your old one back. Its a very cheap alternative, as there are some on there for like $300, unless you have a cam/heads, etc where the tuner will customise the tune to suit the mods, thats when you will want to fork out the money to get it done properly and accurately.
ebay tunes are good for your basic mods such as exhaust and otr.
Check it out, as the listings tell you all you need to know inc. dyno sheets.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Cheers mate, I'll let him know. I don't know the exact mods it has, not heaps I don't think, though I know it has an exhaust on it.

Last edited:

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a mafless tune?
Can it be done to an LPG 3.8 ecotec?

Cheers,

JG

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
No question is stupid if your willing to learn, a mafless tune is where they tune your car to run without the maf (mass air flow meter), as the maf restricts the amount of air going into the engine. By removing the maf you usually put a otr (over the radiator) cold air induction which allows the engine to breathe alot better, giving you better performance, and in some cases better fuel economy. The mafless tune uses other sensors in the manifold to calculate and do the same job that your maf did.
It can be done to the 3.8 ecotec and it would probably work well with LPG as it will probably give you more power than someone running standard unleaded.

NIXONLS1

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my mum
Can I suggest that if internals are stock (or close to stock ie. standard cam/tb/heads/etc) he would probably be better off to look on ebay as you can get exchange ecu's programmed with mafless tunes, from repeutable companies. The ecu is sent to you and you plug it in and you send your old one back. Its a very cheap alternative, as there are some on there for like $300, unless you have a cam/heads, etc where the tuner will customise the tune to suit the mods, thats when you will want to fork out the money to get it done properly and accurately.
ebay tunes are good for your basic mods such as exhaust and otr.
Check it out, as the listings tell you all you need to know inc. dyno sheets.

Just no, a dyno tune is always better. Don't no how they can show you dyno sheets of cars with remote tunes, every engine is different and will make different power levels.

To the op, $600 sounds good for the tune. Russos is a good shop too.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
No question is stupid if your willing to learn, a mafless tune is where they tune your car to run without the maf (mass air flow meter), as the maf restricts the amount of air going into the engine. By removing the maf you usually put a otr (over the radiator) cold air induction which allows the engine to breathe alot better, giving you better performance, and in some cases better fuel economy. The mafless tune uses other sensors in the manifold to calculate and do the same job that your maf did.
It can be done to the 3.8 ecotec and it would probably work well with LPG as it will probably give you more power than someone running standard unleaded.

LPG won't make more power than unleaded unless it's a Liquid Injection system. Highly doubt this guy has a performance orientated system on an everyday road car.

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
Just no, a dyno tune is always better. Don't no how they can show you dyno sheets of cars with remote tunes, every engine is different and will make different power levels.

To the op, $600 sounds good for the tune. Russos is a good shop too.

Yes I ageee a dyno tune is always better, and every engine is unique, but personally if your just after something basic and you have a budget it may be a good option. I haven't used a mail-order tune so if someone has had experience with them I would be interested in hearing what they think.
600 is very good and I agree Russo performance has a good name in the industry.

MALATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS
LPG won't make more power than unleaded unless it's a Liquid Injection system. Highly doubt this guy has a performance orientated system on an everyday road car.

Agreed. Thanks for correcting me.