Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good value Laptop?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
seen the price of screen replacements on the Vaio's thou...

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I did an HP Elitebook screen replacement for $95 ex. the other day... wasn't to bad..

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
having just checked , I see that Sony have discontinued the Vaio .

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Would you notice the difference between an i5 and and i7 just surfing the net, the forums, ebay, and looking through photos ?
99% of the time it will just sit on the table not be carried around,

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Nup, u wont see a difference until u start gaming or any cpu intense programs.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Nah i5 will be fine for just that.. as said above, if your doing stuff like autocad, databases, gaming etc then yeah look at an i7 .. but basic youtube, forums etc then get an i5..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sweet thanks people. So by the sound of it a HP, Toshiba or Lenovo with an i5 would suit me. Mrs wants something with a DVD player.
What about SSD vs normal hard drive, is there much advantage to an SSD given they are about 1/4 the size ?
The only bulky files we are likely to put on the hard drive are photos .... 10 years worth of digital photos ( and did i mention i don't back up very often lol )

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What about SSD vs normal hard drive, is there much advantage to an SSD given they are about 1/4 the size ?
The only bulky files we are likely to put on the hard drive are photos .... 10 years worth of digital photos ( and did i mention i don't back up very often lol )

If you can spare it back your photos up on something else like a portable hard drive. Unless your looking at these photos every day archival storage doesn't need to be particularly fast and you can put it somewhere safe.

Having an SSD will play a bigger part in usability and fast launching than either the processor or RAM. Definitely buy something that has one if you don't require the space.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
SSD dont have any moving parts like the older sytle IDE SATA drives. way more reliable.. and tons faster as mentioned above