Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grass is always greener.........

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
We are a spoiled mob, whatever we drive there is always something faster, handles better and is more desirable. If we do have the dream car we aren't game to take it on the road otherwise it will get too many K's on it, the paintwork might chip, the rain will make it grotty or the sun will fade the paint.
I drove my wife's old bomb VZ wagon with a gazzillion k's on it today, what a great driving machine! Smooth, comfortable, very good on fuel but still drives pretty zippy with the 3.6. I think it has more go for general driving than my VY Adventra, the LS1 doesn't start to get going till 3 or 4,000 revs. The old bogan wagon is a great car, plenty of room, comfy to drive or be a pax even in the back seat. The last 10 years of Holdens (Fords too for that matter) were very good cars, I think under appreciated.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yeah, I see what you are saying there.
I was using the VY acclaim for hauling the kids around alot.
Then pulled out the VR SS after what felt like forever and used it solely for a day or two.
Damn those seats are like concrete compared to the acclaim.
Ya get used to it and they are comfy enough though.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have a 2002 VY Super6 Calais, 2013 VE S2 L77 Calais Wagon,
And the Adventra.
I do take the VY and VE out every so often, to blow the cobwebs out, and enjoy driving them,

But, I use the Adventra as my Daily,
However, for a 3.6L Alloytec, it gets up and launches for 1.9T car, and kruses along nicely. (pun intended)
every road I drive it on, sealed, unsealed, it handles great. The cross-trac works well.
I have to say. I was amazed how the Adventra drives on gravel roads.
So under estimated it’s capabilities.

Reactions: Lex

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's all in the gearing.
200 series feel like rocket powered tanks, but then the VDJZ (which is the tray back) feels like a slug.
Both pretty much the same engine, I believe they have power rating differences, so some ancillaries might be different, but the engine is very similar, possibly some compression difference.
But compression isn't to blame for the difference in the two.

This is the same for your adventura, you might have a V8 but depending on gearing and trans tune, it might feel slow and crap compared to a HSV of the same year.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
My VX SS lives under a car cover and only comes out to play in fair weather, not that I'm to fussed with putting Km on it, it's more that I want to keep it nice, hence, it only comes out for fair weather cruising, where it gets shown the reins

My Honda Accord Euro CU2 (K24) is a super fun, fuel efficient, comfortable, 6 speed manual daily hack that I'm comfortable parking in shopping centres, driving in stormy weather, leaving it parked randomly in suspect locations, or sitting in traffic with people more interested in their phones, their passengers, their radio, than actually concentrating on driving and not running up the arse of the car in front of them

And whilst I like the Honda, and keep it well maintained and clean, and mildly modified of course.......because: modified = good and standard = bad, I give minimal farks about it compared to the Commodore

There's no way I would be happy with all the stone chips, bird 5hit, and general wear and tear on my Commodore that the Honda sees daily, I swear every day the Honda gets parked at the shops it has a new ding or scratch from shopping trolleys or people walking between the cars (women with hand bags or blokes with keys hanging of their pants), people give no farks about other people's stuff

My view is that if you have a nice cool car and use it alot it will soon become a hack and the love will fade, like the paint, but if you want to keep it nice you need to compromise a bit in how you use it

TL;DR Everyone with a nice cool "dream car" car needs a daily hack to keep their nice cool "dream car", a nice and cool "dream car" for as long as possible

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Mine gets used as a daily... its 'hold'en up well.... just cant bring myself to drive anything else.... very happy with it... Still very tidy for its age.... lol

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
My VX SS lives under a car cover and only comes out to play in fair weather, not that I'm to fussed with putting Km on it, it's more that I want to keep it nice, hence, it only comes out for fair weather cruising, where it gets shown the reins

My Honda Accord Euro CU2 (K24) is a super fun, fuel efficient, comfortable, 6 speed manual daily hack that I'm comfortable parking in shopping centres, driving in stormy weather, leaving it parked randomly in suspect locations, or sitting in traffic with people more interested in their phones, their passengers, their radio, than actually concentrating on driving and not running up the arse of the car in front of them

And whilst I like the Honda, and keep it well maintained and clean, and mildly modified of course.......because: modified = good and standard = bad, I give minimal farks about it compared to the Commodore

There's no way I would be happy with all the stone chips, bird 5hit, and general wear and tear on my Commodore that the Honda sees daily, I swear every day the Honda gets parked at the shops it has a new ding or scratch from shopping trolleys or people walking between the cars (women with hand bags or blokes with keys hanging of their pants), people give no farks about other people's stuff

My view is that if you have a nice cool car and use it alot it will soon become a hack and the love will fade, like the paint, but if you want to keep it nice you need to compromise a bit in how you use it

TL;DR Everyone with a nice cool "dream car" car needs a daily hack to keep their nice cool "dream car", a nice and cool "dream car" for as long as possible

Those K24's are beasts.
I have driven a civic with a K24 N/A swap, it was fast, and those things get quicker with boost.
500hp from a turbo K24 is doable for a daily.
It would be interesting if one of those 4 cylinder VC (I think) commodores had a turbo K24.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I'd have to agree with Ginger.
Unless you almost want to be paranoid a runabout it a must have if owning special cars, unless Dollars can basically be of no concern for fixing and keeping tidy.

The old VS ute is basically the daily work horse now. It was the "baby" and treated nice. 10 years ago I'd never have had dirt and mulch in the tub, yet now it's "load it up".
Has dents, scratches and battle scars. One day it'll be tucked away and then rebuilt to a respectful standard.

Bought a VZ SS ute as I grew up admiring the neighbours one (was S/C then eventually N/A Stroker) to replace the VS. Couldn't bring myself to driving it as a daily. In a way, happy we haven't made it into the everyday. Makes it enjoyable to get out and drive, yet still have to consider where it goes knowing others have no car for your possessions.