Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Guide to removing vy/vz steering wheel

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I eventually got my airbag off only first to discover that you need to drop the fuse panel to get better access to the rear clips.

The secound problem that I came accross is that I do not have a normal 30mm bolt and by looking at the images the 30mm is not factory so that steering wheel has come off before and the factory hex bolt has been replaced as you can see the outline of the hex bolt in the image.

So I can't get my steering wheel off. If I can not get the Hex socket from bunnings I will have to go to Holden to change my steering wheel.

I don't even know what size hex socket to even get. ?

This has been very disappointing for me.

Well, i've done this in 4 different cars, 3 vz's and 1 vy and they all have this same bolt so i don't know what to tell you. I'd say yours is the one that's not factory.

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I dropped by Smith Holden to ask about doing this for me and I didn't like the quote I was given but I asked about the bolt and yes far as they know these bolts are factory as they are tamper proof but some tyre joints replace them back to normal bolts because they are easy to stuff up.

No matter I picked up a tamper proof kit from supercheap and used the T45. :thumbsup:

001.jpg

All is good and now I have my leather steering wheel with my satin finnish on the spokes. :D

Gero SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 auto5sp
NEVER place air bag face down. sit it so if the air bag goes off it comes out the top.if it goes off face down it will fly into the air

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Thanks for the above details, one point, any issues when reconnecting the Battery...ie, clock..radio..or other electronic gizzmos..?...do they all just keep working as before...

Thanks again

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Also, i have just checked my steering Wheel, it appears to be Rubber, including the spokes....does that therefore mean i can't fit the new Satin Chrome spokes...!!....did i read that somewhere here....( "04" VZ Acclaim Wagon )

Ta again

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Great write up, Juzo:thumbsup:
I had to remove my steering wheel a couple of weeks ago to fit the satin chrome spokes, had no problems.:D

Thanks for the above details, one point, any issues when reconnecting the Battery...ie, clock..radio..or other electronic gizzmos..?...do they all just keep working as before...

Thanks again

When u fit everything back up, make sure u reconnect the airbag wire if u dont the airbag can go off or you'll get any error on the display. Refer the pics in the first post.
All will work as normal, u wont have to reprogramme the radio or anything, it wont lose its mables.

Also, the steering wheel spokes on the VZ Exec are one piece.

U can take the spokes off, but all 4 spokes come off as one piece, not individually like on SV6, SS Calais etc.....

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain

Thanks again
You'll have to reset your time on the clock and from memory your preset radio stations but that's about it i think.

Great write up, Juzo:thumbsup:
I had to remove my steering wheel a couple of weeks ago to fit the satin chrome spokes, had no problems.:D

When u fit everything back up, make sure u reconnect the airbag wire if u dont the airbag can go off or you'll get any error on the display. Refer the pics in the first post.
All will work as normal, u wont have to reprogramme the radio or anything, it wont lose its mables.

Also, the steering wheel spokes on the VZ Exec are one piece.

U can take the spokes off, but all 4 spokes come off as one piece, not individually like on SV6, SS Calais etc.....
Cheers mate, great tips too:thumbsup:

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
You'll have to reset your time on the clock and from memory your preset radio stations but that's about it i think.

Tats funny, i didnt have to do that on mine. Just reconnected the battery and everything was fine.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
great write up worked well.

now i just have to figure out why my wheel isn't straight.

yes i have double checked and i put it on correctly

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
great write up worked well.

now i just have to figure out why my wheel isn't straight.

yes i have double checked and i put it on correctly

I have the same issue it went on straight in the same position but not 100% as original wheel was it's like the teeth on the wheel are not the same. I have it booked in at Holden to fix it tomorrow.