Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

handling mods for VN?

mickah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 Manaul
g'day guys,
I'm just interested in what I could do to my poor VN, which has the best body-roll getting around. I heard that you can get the strut-bars outta V8's and put them in my V6 that they should improve handling?
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated because I'm getting sick of my current handling.
Cheers mickah

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Best way to go is to take your car to a store like pedders or a suspension place that can suggest what to.
Maybe heavy duty gas shocks, heavy duty springs, shouldn't have to touch your sway bars.
Then it's up to you whether you want to get the lowered springs if you want your car any lower or not.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
one thing i did to my vn v6 was i replaced the sway bar link kits with some short fat stubby suckers!
the original equipment is about as good as spaghetti. the links are a foot long and half a cm thick all the way through, very prone to bending and dont hold up as tough.
i paid $40 from autopro and got a set of heavy duty links half an inch thick and only 5' long. they bolt from the sway bar down to the control arm, instead of up to the top of the strut.
since doing that little mod my car drives like such a better car around tight corners! also, lowering it a bunch and some stiff springs make a huge difference.

mickah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 Manaul
thanks guy,
that sway bar link kit sounds great s0sage, do you have any pictures of it?
Anyone elses advise out there?
cheers, mickah

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
s0sage said:
one thing i did to my vn v6 was i replaced the sway bar link kits with some short fat stubby suckers!
the original equipment is about as good as spaghetti. the links are a foot long and half a cm thick all the way through, very prone to bending and dont hold up as tough.
i paid $40 from autopro and got a set of heavy duty links half an inch thick and only 5' long. they bolt from the sway bar down to the control arm, instead of up to the top of the strut.
since doing that little mod my car drives like such a better car around tight corners! also, lowering it a bunch and some stiff springs make a huge difference.
I have done the conversion from the upper sway link to the lower control link and it behaves totally different. If you want to see what it looks like go and look at the VL commodore.
The sway bar modification link kit for VN/VP. The conversion would take around 1-2hours.
Don't have the front too stiff as it would understeer around corners. I have personal experience with this.

Gdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Police pack
if your looking at simple things..have you tried putting good tyres on it...and wheels aren't just for looks...

16's seem to work well, 17's can be a bit bumpy and tend to push up front...
i run factory fe2 on my vp so the slightly bigger brakes and stiffer bits are a good start
I run 225 16's up front and 235 17s at the rear and its a bucket of fun to drive and with the LSD hooks up wildly and pulls out of corners unlike the old squeeky re92's (mind you the 225/15 Turanza's offer reasonable value/acceptable peformance..)

think the sway bar link is a good idea... i bust or bend the stock one every six months or so... when i run out of spares i think i'll go with the kit
anyone played with the adjustable jobbies???

always exploring cheap ways to improve the ol girl...

SlowVac

Owner of a SlowVactioner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SII
At then moment I'm running with sensatrac shock,K-mac adjusters, lower sway link, kingspring low, and strut brace with VT front brakes and 15' with yokohama A539. The front is firm but sometimes it understeers because of little give at the front. But it handles like its on rails and the tyre wear is more even then the rears.