Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hard starting?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if unlocking the car with key in ignition (using remote buttons)
this resynchronizes they key to the car for the immobiliser
so its either
-key falt battery (replace key)
-bcm losing memory (replace key and immobiliser OUCH)
-or failed key reader around barrel (slip ring)

good luck to you!~

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
if unlocking the car with key in ignition (using remote buttons)
this resynchronizes they key to the car for the immobiliser
so its either
-key falt battery (replace key)
-bcm losing memory (replace key and immobiliser OUCH)
-or failed key reader around barrel (slip ring)

good luck to you!~

Both keys have started doing this at the same time.
Where is the immobiliser, is it in the BCM, hence the "ouch"?
How could I check the key reader around the barrel, only by replacing it for a new one and see if that fixes it?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
if key reader is failed there will be a code stored like "slip ring failure"
its cheap and easy to replace
if bcm is stuffing up then door locks wont work (normally)
the immobiliser is MOSTLY inside the bcm but had a signal converter that is the "slip ring"
the slip ring is the part around the ignition barrel where you put your key into
basically if it fails there will be PRESENT codes stored in the BCM (body control module)
if the code is slip ring failure then i would fit a slip ring OR the slip ring connector is loose OR the wiring around the steering coloumn is cut/pinched
basically i wouldnt tell you what to do without getting codes pulled out of the car... is a very complicated system when it comes to checking it manually (with multimeter AND oscilloscope)

lets say though ...
both keys have fault then i would think its the key reader itself (around ign barrel)
worst case scenarion its the bcm that is at fault requiring two keys and a bcm ($$$$ = ouch)

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Ok DB, well on tuesday I'll let you know what codes Holden have pulled. In the mean time I might pull the steering column apart and have a look for pinched/loose wires, etc. I noticed the key reader is slightly loose, can pe pressed in a little, but as far as I can remember it always was, doesn't look broken. At least Holden should be able to tell me if the key reader has been logged as a fault code, though. Cheers.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
right if it looks loose do you mean the pieces of metal sticking out or just the rubber cover around it?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
right if it looks loose do you mean the pieces of metal sticking out or just the rubber cover around it?

The actual metal ring pushes in slightly with my finger, but just pops back out as if it's on a spring? I'm sure it has always done this though. It doesn't seem to be broken.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
the METAL part is on a spring and should move the rubber goes onto a bracket that should not move...

just waiting for that code list now i guess....

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
SUCCESS!!!! Had codes pulled today at Holden. Code 17- Not ok to start recieved from pcm x2.
Code 02- Slip ring failure.
Cleared codes and rechecked and found 02 slip ring failure code still evident.

I have priced a new slip ring reader and will be picking it up tomorrow, $21. So will pick it up and install it and check wiring while I'm at it. Cheers.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Well I installed the new slip ring reader tonight and it is still doing the same thing, DOH! I have noticed that after the car's been unlocked for a while, the immobiliser light on the dash starts flashing again, but goes out when I press the unlock button? Anyway the guy at Holden said it may be the keys, as I have opened them up and done the repair job on them as per the how-to in the VS KEY REPAIR HOW TO. But I did this ages ago and both keys were working fine until this problem started a week or so ago and both keys are doing the same thing. Guy at Holden was sure the problem was not in the BCM. Any more ideas anyone???

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
one of my mates had a problem with the immobiliser after his mum put his car keys through the washing machine lol... anyway he pulled the keys apart and gave em a good clean and it all worked good... not saying yours is the same problem but maybe giving them a good clean inside would help... just thinking its only 20 mins and its free and might save you $$ down the road... hopefully it works for you