Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harrys 2004 VY SII sedan

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Hi all, I have recently purchased a 2004 Series II VY Equipe sedan.

Up until now, I've only owned 4x4s (which I learnt to drive in), and I felt that it was time to become a part of the Aussie icon.
I'm a P plater but would like to keep it clean and aesthetically pleasing, as i do not wish to become 'one of them' (ie a hoon), nor do I want to want to attract the attention of the cops.

Since I bought the vehicle, my dad and I have given it a service (engine oil flush, new oil, oil filter & air filter), and I have given the interior a good clean and conditioning with Armour All.

Currently my wish list includes:
-modify the exhaust (keeping at 2.5" to avoid the wrong attention)
-get the LHR quarter panel resprayed (paint has been mismatched at some point)
-install a pair of gauges (above the a/c switch panel)
-paint the engine cover (light blue will look good I think)
-paint the brake calipers
-replace the tired-looking door-trim fabric-inserts with leather pieces
-possibly 17 or 18" alloys (current 16" alloys still look ok though)
-get the lower black plastic sills and bumper trims repainted silver to match the rest of the car

What's been done to date (23 August 2016).
-Throughly cleaned interior, engine bay, underside (de-grease)
-Service (flushed & drained engine oil that was a year overdue, replaced filter, and then done again a week later to ensure all the old oil contaminants were out. Replaced air filter. Drained and flushed coolant and replaced seized thermostat and leaking lower radiator hose and factory jubilee clamps).
-Fitted seat covers and floor mate after dry cleaning interior
-Applied Armour All to entire interior plastics and leatger/vinyl surfaces.
-Fitted Manta 2.5 inch cat-back exhaust from Southwest Performance Exhausts in Perth. I got the 'loud' system with only a single straight through muffler and no resonater.

Last edited:

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Here is a few pics

When I picked it up...

Parked next to the other beast

Gave it a good clean inside

R

Risky

She looks pretty clean there.

If you're after a pod gauge cluster & gauges like mine

You can get them from AutoBarn. The gauges I chose are oil pressure & voltage. You can also change the colour of the LED lights to whatever you want. All up you're looking close to about $350 but check the prices.

obsoleteparts_australia are based in Melbourne items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!. They carry a lot of NOS Holden stuff. Door cards & inserts aren't available from Holden any more. I've bought my WL Statesman grey leather door inserts, WK Statesman leather shifter cover and V2 Monaro Series II leather shifter from them. It's all new. Have a look at what they have. Torq-parts are another company items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores! that can be of help.

Painting the calipers & hubs are easy. All the work is in the prep that you do. Pressure packs will do the job. Just put the car on jack stands and away you go. Allow 2-3 hours.

You're current 16" alloys look pretty good with a fair bit of meat on them. You will need to budget for rims & tyres and a healthy one at that. Wheeldemon https://www.wheeldemon.com.au/wheels/Holden/Commodore/VT-VZ?orderby=10 or Wheelking https://www.##################/wheels/holden/commodore/vt-vz?orderby=10. I've kept my old 16" wheels.

The LHR quarter panel is a bit hard to tell from the pics. Find out from where you work who repaints your sales stock. When you do, have a chat to who does them. When painting an item such as a door, you need to blend the paint with the surrounding parts so make sure you budget for that. The lower black plastic, you can get the spray painters to do those or you could upgrade with the SS ones & get those painted as they look more sportier. You may need to pay in beer so start chatting to them.

What you want to do to it is realistic & can be done. I hope my suggestions give you a bit of guidance.

HarryVY

2004 Series II VY Equipe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Series II VY sedan
Thanks very much Risky, your tips are very helpful!!

I will have a chat to the guys at work tomorrow and see who does our panel repairs.

R

Risky

Thanks very much Risky, your tips are very helpful!!

I will have a chat to the guys at work tomorrow and see who does our panel repairs.

No probs there mate.

Ask the guys also if they know any other spraypainters apart from the one your company uses.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Currently my wish list includes:

-modify the exhaust (keeping at 2.5" to avoid the wrong attention)
-get the LHR quarter panel resprayed (paint has been mismatched at some point)
-install a pair of gauges (above the a/c switch panel)
-paint the engine cover (light blue will look good I think)
-paint the brake calipers
-replace the tired-looking door-trim fabric-inserts with leather pieces
-possibly 17 or 18" alloys (current 16" alloys still look ok though)
-get the lower black plastic sills and bumper trims repainted silver to match the rest of the car

-modify the exhaust (keeping at 2.5" to avoid the wrong attention) Seek out Not_an_abba_fan or a local exhaust shop, lot's of information on this forum if you look about this
-get the LHR quarter panel resprayed (paint has been mismatched at some point) - Local blokes, Risky already stated
-install a pair of gauges (above the a/c switch panel) - Risky
-paint the engine cover (light blue will look good I think) - Check out my ute's page. I did this with some cans and sandpaper from supercheap along with some tape and bluetack... Piss easy weekend job
-paint the brake calipers - MCM video on this, plus info on this forum
-replace the tired-looking door-trim fabric-inserts with leather pieces - Risky
-possibly 17 or 18" alloys (current 16" alloys still look ok though) - Lots of places for this, 'facebook buy swap sell commo parts' pages always have people selling or trading rims
-get the lower black plastic sills and bumper trims repainted silver to match the rest of the car - Again, local bloke

And welcome to the place of endless ideas and reading material. We sometimes contradict each other on info, but we try to maintain a helpful environment.

'Don't trust a Holden dealership' is my personal advice, others (Risky) disagree and find their spare parts division useful.

R

Risky

And welcome to the place of endless ideas and reading material. We sometimes contradict each other on info, but we try to maintain a helpful environment.

'Don't trust a Holden dealership' is my personal advice, others (Risky) disagree and find their spare parts division useful.

Gaiter, the guys at my local dealership love hunting down stuff for me & give me trade prices. It's just a pity that the guys you dealt with shunted you. If you were still in Newie, I would have been able to help you. Lol thanks for quoting me mate!

Trust me HarryVY, Gaiter is right about that this is a place of endless ideas and reading material. I spend hours on here reading in between playing GTA 5 & Gmod lol

R

Risky

You'll be wanting a new interior next.

Go to the wreckers & find a good set of interior satin chrome door handles. I got them for mine & they are worth it.