Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hates/Dislikes about the VF SII

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's so funny watching people blame something for a problem they know nothing about. "OH **** THE MYLINK DISPLAYS INFORMATION SO IT MUST BE THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM THAT I HAVE RELATING TO THE INFORMATION IT DISPLAYS".
I did think the MyLink system was what was running all that **** which doesn't work ... so it's a bunch of different **** which doesn't work?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
How the heck can something as simple as the air conditioning be so totally screwed up in software? The climate control is the one thing I see that consistently fails miserably in every VF. If I ever get to sit in one where it consistently works... I'll buy that one

The problem is that it's not just "something as simple" these days. Yes it's just a software calibration, but the HVAC uses 4 or 5 different sensors (off the top of my head) and if someone's calibration for one sensor is out then all sorts of weird **** tends to happen. Add to that having to program in variables to dampen erroneous sensor readings (e.g. you drive through a cold crosswind, should your external temp sensor register a 5 degree drop immediately and adjust your HVAC accordingly), and suppliers changing things without telling anyone to save 3c per part, and everything gets very complex very quickly.

I did think the MyLink system was what was running all that **** which doesn't work ... so it's a bunch of different **** which doesn't work?

Correct. Although MyLink displays data communicated to it via Canbus, it is unable to command much of anything (apart from the user settings which IIRC are stored in the BCM). Not sure what your second issue is, but HVAC is an ongoing concern that has gotten better with the two available software updates.

All in all though, if a niggly HVAC is the most of the problems I'll have with my VF (apart from a failed lifter/cam combo that I'm not terribly upset about), given the all-new electrical system coming from VE, I can't be too upset. Who cares if you have to turn the knob two more clicks to get air temp where you want it?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not sure what your second issue is
It's something complained about by many others around here ... it's whatever the Holden marketing term is for the "crash avoidance" thing, it just goes off under circumstances where it's not relevant. It's annoying, you get used to it but it's still annoying to have this scared BEEP-BEEP-BEEP suddenly intruding on your music and images of cars smashing into each other appearing on your display. Seems either the sensors or the smarts which interpret the sensors are a bit dumb.
I've not had it happen while I had cruise control on 'til the weekend, but whatever the discolouration was in the road it detected, it switched cruise off as well as bleeping. Bit of a shock when you're not expecting it. I can see why they can't implement radar cruise using the current system.

Park-assist proximity warnings are just as bad. You drive forward into a spot, nose forward slowly, no warning, you stop, get out & think it's closer than you'd have expected to get before the beeping started. Get back in the car afterwards and stick it in reverse; and all this beeping begins, with the bars in FRONT of the car all red 'cos you've come closer to the wall than it likes you to be. Hmm.

Smashfist said:
Who cares if you have to turn the knob two more clicks to get air temp where you want it?
Well actually, I'm waiting for this new update to be applied; we've not had an issue where you can easily fix it by just upping the temp a bit, our problems are more with dumping freezing air in our faces when we're trying to demist the windscreen. It's effing cold, results in your stabbing at buttons at random, and I can see it being a safety hazard if it happened all of a sudden when you weren't braced for it.

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
I should start by saying that when the LS3 is on song and the corners beckon, I really don't care. The car is great.

I have the SSV Redline Wagon (VFII, May build 2016)

BUT

The car is 7 years newer and double the price, compared to the Skoda Octavia it replaced. It feels like in many senses, it has gone backwards compared to the Skoda I had. Heres my list of disappointments. Most of which I had sussed out before I ponied up. Worth noting that I negotiated really hard to feel better about some of the shortcomings listed below.
- (1) My link. Crap as. How to take something simple and make it complicated. Eg, if I am listening to bluetooth, and come back to the car after going to the shops? It puts the radio on. I WAS LISTENING TO BLUETHOOTH. Not hard. Also you can't pause music. WTF? This is just one example. The whole thing is a disappointment. But the navigation is surprisingly ok.
- (2) Hard plastics. REALLY HARD PLASTICS. On the door trim, right next to the suede, on the door sills even.
- (3) WAGON: 6 Speaker stereo, stolen from the Evoke. AWFUL SOUND. You sell this thing for 65k and put the cheapest chinese speakers you can find? I should be refunded the difference to the 9 speaker BOSE system.
- (4) WAGON: Sunroof deleted. This is a 2k option on lower spec cars. Yet you charge me 2k over the redline Sedan to not get the sunroof. Gimmie my 2k back.
- (5) Centre Console. Feels like it would blow away in the breeze, the flimsiest piece of plastic I ever did encounter. Also, the release / locking latch to the console bin is the worst tactile experience you will encounter, short of what ensues after 'slipping on the soap' in the prison showers.
- (6) Cabin oddment storage. A real strong point in the Skoda. A real weak point in the VFII.
- (7) Hyperactive warning alarms. OMG, WTF? This car thinks everything is about to kill you and beeps at you all the time. My wife's 25k Polo has the same tech and only very rarely mis-fires on the warning alarm. My car thinks any car it sees in the street is about to crash into me. Seriously, awful calibration. Holden should have fixed this on the VFII. Embarrasing. I just turn it off and maybe one day, it won't save my life as a result.
- (8) Convenience features: A Skoda strong point. Why aren't the mirrors heated? I just gave you 65k? Rear view mirror, should be electrochromatic. I just gave you 65k. Passenger mirror should move down when in reverse. I just gave you 65k. (I didn't give you 65k but that's your RRP on drive away).

On this last point, I think Holden were to keen to differentiate the Calais from the Redline. As a result they software crippled and otherwise withheld features which you should get in any 65k car. Rather than looking at the market they just looked at their own product line in isolation. Poor move.

Would I buy this car again? Yes, I would. But I feel Holden has taken some shortcuts with their last ever car.

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
Oh I should mention. Climate Control / HVAC has been spot on, in response to other comments.

Comfal

Reaction score
Don't like the Wheels on SV6/SS (Look Wimpy). Series 1 looks much better and No CD Player.

Not sure if it is my imagination but Series 2 looks a little higher than a Series 1.

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
It's something complained about by many others around here ... it's whatever the Holden marketing term is for the "crash avoidance" thing, it just goes off under circumstances where it's not relevant. It's annoying, you get used to it but it's still annoying to have this scared BEEP-BEEP-BEEP suddenly intruding on your music and images of cars smashing into each other appearing on your display. Seems either the sensors or the smarts which interpret the sensors are a bit dumb.
I've not had it happen while I had cruise control on 'til the weekend, but whatever the discolouration was in the road it detected, it switched cruise off as well as bleeping. Bit of a shock when you're not expecting it. I can see why they can't implement radar cruise using the current system.

Just switch the feature off, button is on the steering wheel. I turned it off the first week I had it, same with the lane departure thingo. The Euro's use radar to keep your distance between the car in front, VF just beeps at you. Euro's gently steer you back into your lane, VF just beeps at you. Useless half assed features I reckon, and any beeping I can stop I'll take that option!

I haven't had much trouble with HVAC in my August 14 build Calais, except I have noticed if you close any of the dash vents it sends it crazy - real hot or cold air coming from one side, not the other kinda thing. Just keep all the vents open and temp at 22 and rarely have to touch it. Sounds like I may have got lucky there.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
Getting my standard SS rims powdercoated black by the dealer

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
Can't go wrong mate they're awesome cars. I've never enjoyed driving a car as much as this and I've had quite a few.