Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hates/Dislikes about the VF SII

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
* Bluetooth music is a bit rubbish. I could only get it to shuffle via Google Play, couldn't bring up artist/albums, etc. Dumped everything on a USB stick though and its fine.
* The obnoxiously loud beeps and alarms from the overly sensitive sensors when going into reverse (automatically enables, not sure if that can be disabled) is a bit annoying. Button to disable is readily available though.
* There's a certain temperature (think its like 23 or 24) that it just goes from cold to hot over a single degree. Didn't seem to happen on the passenger side though.
* No separate volume/gain (or just shitty amplifier setup) for the parcel shelf subs. They barely move even when you crank the bass via the Tune menu (but this kinda ruins the mid-range units in the doors). I'd guess they're nowhere near distortion level of movement, but the doors are killing themselves, muddying the sound.
* No permanent "Open" mode on the bi-modal exhaust. Only "hybrid" or "closed".

That's really about all I can think of. Loving it otherwise.

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I test drove an SSV Redline the other day. I was disappointed because:

- The front seats don't go anywhere near low enough
- Side mirrors are too small for the size of the car and have very narrow tunnel visibility.
- The engine is really showing its age. A twin cam VVT engine of the same capacity would have way more torque below 2000rpm. Sounds harsh/thrashy above 5000rpm like it doesn't wanna be there.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Base SS owner here.

Centre console is a bit cheap and cheerful but I put a leather lid on which helps.

Added paddle shifter steering wheel which is awesome.

My USB 3.0 32gb works straight away every time, from the song which was last played. I haven't tried a bigger capacity stick though.

HVAC hasn't given me any problems either but I just leave it on 22c and turn off the AC when not needed for moar powah

Mine has a PAUSE button which works for me however I plug my iPhone in and don't use Bluetooth as selecting tracks from the RAM mounted iPhone is infinitely easier and it charges at the same time and it's better quality sound (supposedly)

Standard suspension height suits me for the roads and driveways, it may get Bilstein B6 one day but will keep the factory height.

I wish it had electrochromatic mirrors and better sound system like the Volvo but I didn't buy a Commodore expecting perfection, I bought it for the motor and because it is a piece of Australian motoring history and having one in the garage means I won't be so teary in October when they shut down the factory.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I hate that come October 31st they will be no more...that really sucks balls..

ThunderLizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 A6
I test drove an SSV Redline the other day. I was disappointed because:

- The front seats don't go anywhere near low enough
- Side mirrors are too small for the size of the car and have very narrow tunnel visibility.
- The engine is really showing its age. A twin cam VVT engine of the same capacity would have way more torque below 2000rpm. Sounds harsh/thrashy above 5000rpm like it doesn't wanna be there.

I'm not sure what the 6.2L is like stock, haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but the 6L felt very sluggish down low. Felt like you had to scream it's tits off to get it to go (auto i should add). Someone else compared the SV6 to the V8, saying it was just as good down low in the revs, and i'd have to agree (had a VE sv6 SIDI auto before the redline). But after an exhaust, OTR and Tune, i couldn't be happier. Just made the world of difference.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I'm not sure what the 6.2L is like stock, haven't had the pleasure of driving one, but the 6L felt very sluggish down low. Felt like you had to scream it's tits off to get it to go (auto i should add). Someone else compared the SV6 to the V8, saying it was just as good down low in the revs, and i'd have to agree (had a VE sv6 SIDI auto before the redline). But after an exhaust, OTR and Tune, i couldn't be happier. Just made the world of difference.

I think the SV6 is pretty good as well, I had a SIDI SV6 from 2011 to December 2014. I think they are a pretty good thing, ultimately the V8 is going to be the more powerful car, but the 3.6 SIDI is a pretty good engine (if you don't have timing chain problems at least). I'd be happy enough to go back to a 3.6 SIDI if I decided to take a step down from a V8.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I always assumed the lack of response was the sluggish auto?

bradsm87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not a Commodore
I always assumed the lack of response was the sluggish auto?

It's not unresponsive. Throttle response is great. Just if you load it up below 2000rpm (manual or auto), it's got very little to give. In the mid-1990s, that was completely normal and to be expected. Nowdays, I expect more from a 6.2L engine.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

The LS3 based cars have a little more oomph over the 6 litre due to their lower diff ratios.

Still in stock unopened form they are not designed to achieve high revs plus no recent V8 equipped Commodore has been quick out of the box due to the soft safe all-rounder tunes Holden supplies them with.

A tune even without the entry level exhaust and CAI upgrades will help wake them up.

That goes for both auto and manual models.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I'm not an exclusive "Ford" or "Holden" guy and up until my current Calais V my previous three cars had been Fords.

My last G6E was a very well rounded package. It did everything well.

My current Calais (at 8000kms inc one long trip) seems to be every bit as good as the Ford - IMO better inside but I was well used to G6E interiors by the time I got out of them. Actually that was the reason my last string of Holdens ended. Same old, same old inside.

Both are very good cars. IMO both companies finally got it right. Shame about the end result for we who like oz cars :(

The only thing I don't like about my Calais V is the lack of electrochromatic rear view mirror.

It seems like a small issue but when you've had 'em you miss them when you don't have them.

TBH, I took it for granted the Calais V would have one. Didn't occur to me to check it on the test drive.

Oh well...

Last edited: