Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Have some play money, VW vs. VE

terriscott

Reaction score
Members Ride
territoryfrown
hey guys, first time post, long time reader....

bad news followed by good(ish).

my great uncle recently passed away (bless him) and recently left me some $$$$$

now, at the moment, i drive a pretty pitiful ford territerror. its a daily and i dont care- company car.

but recently, after having got some cash, i've been thinking about a bit of a toy...

now, that VE snarl.... OH GOD!!!!

and given (i got) the money to supercharge it, WOW

but even better still, im thinking i could JUST make things stretch to a walkinshaw performance VE, just like the one in last months motor magazine tuner shoot out.

this is where my trouble begins....

as much as i love the idea of a family car with huge power etc....

the vw golf is:

cheaper....
better build quality.....
more nimble.....
better to look at (even though i adore big tug boats)
quicker off the line (4cyl vs. SUPERCHARGED V8!!!)

and so on.

more importantly, i love big heavy cumersome v8's, but one thing that struck me about the tuner shootout- the VW golf R was 14 seconds faster around eastern creek than the walkinshaw performance VE... and the golf was driving in the wet, as opposed to the WP in the dry.

boys, that equates to having your pants pulled down rougly, and being utterly, brutally, undeniably bum raped for a period of at least 72 hours. no question. a tuned golf R will absolutely, brutally murder a WP supercharged big V8 around a track.... and **** on its grave multiple times....

but i cannot let go of the brutal (if only for sound) VE v8... im in love. and even though its more expensive than a hatch that will annihilate it all day around a track, im still in love with the big brutus...

what do you guys reckon? reckon i should pull the plug and go along to my local HSV dealer?

cheer guys!

scotty

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Have you had a drive of either car, especially before bagging them out? Magazine tests mean SFA. Also are you going to be driving around Eastern Creek all day when you buy your new car? You need to work out what you want the car for and then buy accordingly. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Kieran263

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Wagon 6.0 A6
Dude, the sound that comes from a stock VE V8 is so very far from brutal.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Have you had a drive of either car, especially before bagging them out? Magazine tests mean SFA. Also are you going to be driving around Eastern Creek all day when you buy your new car? You need to work out what you want the car for and then buy accordingly. You're comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, Basically ^^^^

If it was me, Id go for the VE WP, I love that car, the R8 one especially.

On that note, My family owns a TDi Golf V, And even being a diesel, flys once it is off the line and the turbo spools (which i just found out gets up to 30.45 psi straight out of the factory)

Your best bet though, As Wikky said, Is to go out and test drive both, do what you would usually drive and also what you want the car for.

If you dont really look into that, youll be kicking yourself if you get the WP, and kicking yourself you got the VW

Heres something that might help make up your mind

[YOUTUBE]w6PE8pnxccw[/YOUTUBE]

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I've driven Golf GTI's and they are a very quick and very very fun car. If I ever had to buy a little car, I could even look past how much I hate VW's and maybe even own one.
Just be careful not to break anything on it, coz parts will cost you an arm and a leg