Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headliner - should I bother?

Paulib

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP Commodore Exec Manual
I tried to fix the headliner - and in all honesty gave it a half arsed attempt and it ended up the same as it was lol and I can't be bothered trying again because I dont think I have any skills when it comes to fabric.

I looked into getting it repaired professionally. I called about 8 places everyone said it would take at least 9 hours (Thats when I realized I had half assed it as I only took 2) and at least $400 if they headliner was in good enough condition. It has a slight bend in it but nothing major.

I've kinda figured being a 91 with 300k on the clock and I brought it for 2.5k its not really worth fixing.

I assume it'll look **** if I leave the actual carboard headliner in without any material so I'm thinking about pulling it out all together and just having the metal roof.

What do you guys think? Should I just suck it up and spend the money, should I just have the metal roof or even a carboard roof or is there another solution I haven't thought about?

frdhtr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais charged v6
Hey buddy you tried using spray on glue from a speed shop or use thumbtacs cheers

Paulib

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha yea - its got thumbtacs in it at the mo

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I replaced the head lining in my VP, so i can at least comment a little here.

Initially i attempted to repair the sagging with an adhesive spray. This did not work well as there was too much inconsistency between the fabric and the liner. Having had some trimming experience since them i am confident i could do a succsesfull repair, but the original fabric would need to be replaced at the very least.

So for the time being i just removed it, and drove around with the bare metal roof for about 6 months. One thing i can tell you is that it get's bloody hot !! Also it is illeagal, and can render the vehicle unroadworthy. Something to keep in mind for insurance...

The solution for me was sourcing another lining from a wrecking yard. I found one in near perfect condition for $50. Infact by the look of it , it had been re-done by a professional at some point. A quick go over with some upholstery cleaner, and it was good as new again.

Re-fitting is pretty straight forward, but i wouldn't attempt to do it on your own ,as you need to bend the liner to a certain point to get it through the door. Also holding it up while you attach the trim assembly can be a difficult job on your own. Best to have 2 people, a 3rd if possible. Mine was actually out of a VS, and required some slight modifications to accept the rear vision mirror, and the grab handles. This was basically just some presicely cut holes.

The only thing i wasn't happy with, was that the centre of the lining, around the light fixture, was slightly lower over all than it was supposed to be. I beleive that there is actually an adhesive used between the lining and the metal roof itself. But only an ocd would have noticed as no body else did.....

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
hi guys,i done our vn rooflining just before we sold it.we drove around for a while without it in.anyway it cost me $70 for the rooflining material and it took me about an hour to do then put back in.the glue i used was from the trimmer as i know him,he just lent me his spray gun with a full pot of glue in it as i had to do our magna at the same time.it's more or less quick grip or whatever it is you buy in the tin.obviously you have to take the actual rooflining out(cardboard) through the passsenger fron door is the easiest.it's easy to do mate so don't go paying that much when you don't have to.give it a go you will be surprised how easy it really is!!!
cheers

Paulib

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did give it ago and I f*ked it lol so I'm not really sure its worth me trying again.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
We pulled ours out years ago and just run with a metal roof. Everyone asks about it and I joke that we did to lower the centre of gravity of the car. When the kids were younger we used to stick magnetic letters and numbers on the roof for them to play with.

In hindsight we should have kept the lining as you can repair it yourself or get someone to fix it. At the time the cost of a new one from Holden was cheaper than a repaired one, but they then became obsolete.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I just brought a second handy from the wreckers but it's a bit of a hit and miss thing the first one was stuffed as soon as i put it in but the second one was as good as gold but for how long who knows.
A guy i know said just to get some marine carpet and scrub off all the foam spray on some heavy duty glue and apply the carpet said it will last for ever if this one falls down i might give it a go.