Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!!! Alloytec oil filter cap wont come off!!!! Also clutch starting to die!!

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Yea from memory it is a standard thread bolt. I had the same issue the dumb ass mechanic (don't go to them any more) did it up so bloody tight. All you can really do has been mentioned above

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
i do mine up by hand and then give about a half turn with a spanner never given me any issues. i think alot of people tend to over tighen it. but you don't need to as it has an oring for sealing.

theclogwog

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Having the same problem, definitely not going back to the mechanic who did that. I tried using aq breaker bar and also a 24mm ring spanner and it wont budge. I might try the pipe, I just don't want to crack the housing.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Make sure to use a single hex socket on a breaker bar

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I had the same problem yesterday it came down to a 2 foot bar and a **** load of pressure but it will come u can replace it if u break it I called first

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Those alloytech ones are always tight as. Must have something to do with the aluminum housing binding up when it heats up and expands. Just go the good old breaker bar. I've done a few and never cracked one. Some have taken a fair few muscles too haha

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
As already stated its the design, not how tight the "Mechanics" do it up.

At my old work I used to do a bit of servicing, on most of the ones that I knew I serviced, and only just nipped the filter housing up, they were so tight when it came to undo them.

Its funny how everyone instantly bags their Mechanics, don't like it? Get a clue and do it yourself...

adamcawood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
At least ur mechanic changed it or the oil for that fact part of the warranty on my car is that I have to take it back to the dealer to have it serviced at a fixed 200 bucks and they didn't Evan change the oil Or filter and that's what I payed 200 for

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
when tightening oil cap the same rule as spin on filtres apply, smear some clean oil around cap and just nip up lighty.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
if anyone is unsure of how tight to do cap up, it is 26nm with an arrow pointing direction to turn, stamped on top of cap.