Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help building a new PC

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Because of the amount of power decent graphics cards suck down. That's without even considering any other components.

Just seen your other thread with the graphics card listed, I see what you mean in that case. THOUGH most users wont be using that high end of graphics card let alone two of them.
For most graphics cards for general game playing and multimedia a 500 watt PSU is plenty.
Ive got a 520 watts PSU thats running, 6 H/d's, dvd rom combo, and a raid controller, its quite happy running that no problems. Also will be used to run HDMI/DVI.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Just seen your other thread with the graphics card listed, I see what you mean in that case. THOUGH most users wont be using that high end of graphics card let alone two of them.
For most graphics cards for general game playing and multimedia a 500 watt PSU is plenty.
Ive got a 520 watts PSU thats running, 6 H/d's, dvd rom combo, and a raid controller, its quite happy running that no problems. Also will be used to run HDMI/DVI.

Not to mention the graphic cards that do suck the power need their own source.
The cards that run off the m/b power dont need a huge power supply

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Not to mention the graphic cards that do suck the power need their own source.
The cards that run off the m/b power dont need a huge power supply

yep spot on, though why did you revive this thread :p

One good thing, I see CSP is FINALLY Banned :bow:

Friction

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking for a new Commodore
I'm sure the 500W PSU that was listed was for a very basic and cheap setup option that didn't have a very high usage GPU listed.

This program is great to get an idea of what you can get when you are on a certain budget. It is just a guide and not to be taken as a bible.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I'm not bad with PC hardware. Doing a degree at RMIT (via Open University) in IT, So if you want advice shoot us a PM. If your in Brisbane I can probably organise parts for you (tell you where and who and how much).

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
LOL 500watt PSU, i would never use one, for how much a quality modular 650watt PSU costs, spend the extra, end up with a much more stable current, therefore a better life expectancy out of your parts in relation to the quality of the power. A generic PSU at 550watt will not be the same as an Antec or Coolermaster 550watt. I've got a 750watt in my machine, but im running an OC'd core i7, with a Nvidia GTX 470 (requires min 700watt PSU). Most people will never need more than 550, but you need to remember what the quality of the power is like.