Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Buying 09-10 SV6/SS Sportswagon

StreetCredTim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hey all,

New to justcommos, just after a bit of advice as i'm very new to VEs

Looking into buying 2009/2010 sv6 Sportswagon. (or ss if it really takes my eye)
I've had a look at a couple and decided i want White!
Not for a family, i'm only young finishing uni, and would like to go camping & what not with it.

Roughly what does everyone think i should get for $16k+, from my own research i've gathered around 130,000km 2010?

Is there anything i should be looking out for with the 09/10 VE's?

Is there any difference with the 09/10, i dont want to buy any later than those years, and i dont really like the small body changes holden made in 2011.

I thought there would be an abundance of white sv6 wagons in sydney area for sale, but not many, and the only ones that are have photos posted that look like they've been taken by the worlds 1st phone camera, which kinda looks sus and half assed.

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
There was a thread sometime back where it was said the SV6 wagons are very popular, when a dealer gets one they are usually sold within a few weeks, so prices are actually pretty high, especially compared to a sedan where there are many and demand isn't spectacular. From what I have seen advertised an SS wagon isn't that much different in price to a SV6 wagon. Price wise I am thinking if your budget is in that $16K mark the km figure you mentioned is probably about right, but if you want something with less than 100,000 Km you will be looking more like $20K.
From the point of view of differences in 2009 to 2010 there is difference in the engine and transmission. An early 09 will probably probably be the MY9.5 model is not SIDI engine, late in 09, Holden released the SIDI engine in the MY10 model. The SIDI engine of MY10 model is the same as sold now in the current VF models and I assume won't be changed until VF/ VFII Commodore is gone in late 2017. Also with the MY 10 model the auto transmission is 6 speed auto, but prior to this the transmission was 5 speed. I had a MY10 SV6 sedan until 6 months ago, and the SIDI engine I think is very good. I haven't owned the previous model so I can't directly compare from my own experience. Personally I would suggest getting the MY10 model which ran from late 09 to late 2010 - you stated you didn't like the VEII (which dates from late 2010). The SIDI engine is 210 KW whereas non SIDI is 195 KW. If you start looking at an SS I think you will be looking around $20K for a wagon - in auto the engine will most likely be AFM (Active Fuel Management) which shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising on light throttle. If you search around you find many critics of AFM due to lifter reliability, if you don't want an AFM engine SS I think you need to go back to 2008 model, or a manual instead of auto. Auto in an SS is 6 speed since release of the first VE's in 2006.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
6 spd over the 5 every day of the week. The SS is a huge step up over the SV6 in terms of power and ability to modify for even more power.

StreetCredTim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Ahh Red you're a legend mate! cheers!

There was a thread sometime back where it was said the SV6 wagons are very popular, when a dealer gets one they are usually sold within a few weeks, so prices are actually pretty high, especially compared to a sedan where there are many and demand isn't spectacular. From what I have seen advertised an SS wagon isn't that much different in price to a SV6 wagon. Price wise I am thinking if your budget is in that $16K mark the km figure you mentioned is probably about right, but if you want something with less than 100,000 Km you will be looking more like $20K.
From the point of view of differences in 2009 to 2010 there is difference in the engine and transmission. An early 09 will probably probably be the MY9.5 model is not SIDI engine, late in 09, Holden released the SIDI engine in the MY10 model. The SIDI engine of MY10 model is the same as sold now in the current VF models and I assume won't be changed until VF/ VFII Commodore is gone in late 2017. Also with the MY 10 model the auto transmission is 6 speed auto, but prior to this the transmission was 5 speed. I had a MY10 SV6 sedan until 6 months ago, and the SIDI engine I think is very good. I haven't owned the previous model so I can't directly compare from my own experience. Personally I would suggest getting the MY10 model which ran from late 09 to late 2010 - you stated you didn't like the VEII (which dates from late 2010). The SIDI engine is 210 KW whereas non SIDI is 195 KW. If you start looking at an SS I think you will be looking around $20K for a wagon - in auto the engine will most likely be AFM (Active Fuel Management) which shuts down 4 cylinders when cruising on light throttle. If you search around you find many critics of AFM due to lifter reliability, if you don't want an AFM engine SS I think you need to go back to 2008 model, or a manual instead of auto. Auto in an SS is 6 speed since release of the first VE's in 2006.

StreetCredTim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
yeah for sure!
thinking i might leave the step up to the v8 for a later date, as much as i would love one!

StreetCredTim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Ok so in the past few days i've found 3 ss/ssv commodores that i really really like!
would just like a bit of input in my decision making!

Option 1
2009 VE SS Wagon, White, Auto, 100,000km
Owner has installed 3" Xforce system, and some 20's (which i find quite ugly)
But the body looks pretty damn nice...
Asking $20,000 but i think could be talked down. i'm thinking 18-18.5
But about a 3 hr drive from me:|

Option 2
2009 VE SSV, Wagon, White, Auto, 120,000km
Owner has also installed Xforce system, stock ssv wheels (which are sweeet) stock ssv leather
Asking $21,000.. add is very new so i'm not sure about offering, but that is a lot of money for me!
Add close-ish, beaches which i'm unsure about salt=rust situation? anyone opinions?

Option 3
2010 VE SS Wagon, Silver, Auto, 160,000km
Mainly stock, cloth seats, stock sv6/ss alloys, has bonnet decal black stripes which are not the best, but also not the worst (assuming painted from factory?)
Asking $17,700 (Dealer) which i don't know if they budge, kms are high but still not bad, and it IS a v8 i guess.
Also close by to me (40mins) this price range is looking pretty great for me, even though i do love the white more, and ssv interior :blah blah:

Option 4
Keep looking for a White 2010 Sv6 Wagon..
you'd think there'd be plenty of them, but not at the moment!
and these v8s.... i can't stop looking at them!

I know these are all auto, i've decided, although manual is fun, the auto is what i want!
which has proven the right choice in the past.. and now.. i have had a broken arm for 6 week that is not healing!

Any opinions, advice, or anything feel free!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Personally, I like the lower km cars, so myself I am thinking option 1, but I would also just prefer standard wheels and you are looking at a good few dollars to pickup some genuine wheels and tyres whether they be 18's or 19's. Maybe you can sell the 20's, but I'd be trying to get the best price you can especially if you are going to spend maybe $2,000 to change the wheels. Consider this with the 160,000 Km car, if you buy it and I don't know what Km's you expect to travel annually, but say if it's 20,000 Km pa then if you want to sell the car in just 2 years you'll be trying to sell it with 200,000 Km. I think it won't be so easy trying to sell with over 200,000 Km, even if it looks pretty good right now.

StreetCredTim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Yeah well the wheels i could live with for a while, while i pay back the small loan.. lol i'm in my final year of university so hopefully i will have money! i work part time at the moment though.

No-one protesting the 8's and suggesting i should go back to 6?

Also any concerns about the salt in the air in beach areas causing corrosion to panels or Chassis?

Personally, I like the lower km cars, so myself I am thinking option 1, but I would also just prefer standard wheels and you are looking at a good few dollars to pickup some genuine wheels and tyres whether they be 18's or 19's. Maybe you can sell the 20's, but I'd be trying to get the best price you can especially if you are going to spend maybe $2,000 to change the wheels. Consider this with the 160,000 Km car, if you buy it and I don't know what Km's you expect to travel annually, but say if it's 20,000 Km pa then if you want to sell the car in just 2 years you'll be trying to sell it with 200,000 Km. I think it won't be so easy trying to sell with over 200,000 Km, even if it looks pretty good right now.