Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Help for holden wb 1984 UTE

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
Hi

I am doing up a 1984 holden wb ute with my dad for my first car

I have a few qustions

Would it be worth upgrading from the blue 202 with a varajet II to a 253 (legal on p's)

Would it be worth saving up $ and getting a 308 or a ls1?

Would it be worth putting a rb30 in it and turboing it later?

Some other qustions

Are there quick shifters for m21 on the flore boxes?

Worth putting supra gear box behind 202 for 5 years while on p's?

Max wheel size?

Big brake kits?

Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What do you want to use it for and what's your budget?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Everything is worth it if you can justify it.

What is your end goal? What do you want from it then work backwards to see what will suit. Then double check that your budget will accommodate this and add an extra 30%.
You will also need to think of engineering costs, and the fact that you may not be even allowed to drive a modified car on your Ps.

For me personally, i'd stick the biggest factory engine that you are allowed to into it as they usually aren't modifications, if that's a 253 then do that, and just tidy it up, give it some nice paint, add some chrome or whatever you want to, upgrade the stereo and enjoy driving it as a nice cruiser.

That should be enough for now. Then once you are off you Ps go as nuts as you can afford if you want to.

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
Hey thanks for replys

my budget around 4k

my end result i am really hopeing for something fast that i can take down to drags with my mates and have fun, but keeping it mostly factory for resale value

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I think a rack and pinion steering conversion would be worth it, same as upgrading the brakes.

There are many engines to choose from, all are a waste of money for a first car unless your gonna look after it and not prang it like 99% of red P platers.

LS1 is the best bang for buck, but you cant drive it. Anything that requires a certificate is out for Ps last time i checked.

Get the body and basics up to scratch before worrying about the engine, its the easy bit.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
5 Years on P's, WTF, man, put the 253 in with a Supra box and a 3.08 diff and enjoy the V8 sound.

I did all this 25 yrs ago, the above were staple mods, shirly things have improved, do the above and go to an old school holden forum.

There might be some better mods, I'd put a EFI carby system on it for staters, as they love fuel and flooding at start up, oh old school joys,

cam wise the only option was the double your fuel usage tq30, so don't bother, but there maybe more out there.

also the 253 needs a bit of back pressure , freed up they die, I found good results with just extractors into a 2 1/2 in single and one muffler.

Good luck, any questions ask away and post a few pics of the build.

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
ment 4 years until you are allowed to get your full license

also if i dropped 2-3 k on a 253 what would i be at for power?

will post pics a bit later

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
also if i dropped 2-3 k on a 253 what would i be at for power?

left wondering where the money went, lol, they came out with a whopping 100kws when new, there's no 'real' power to be had.

Just pick up a tidy one and be happy with the burble, as that's it's only charm.

Save money for a LS engine in 4 years.