Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[202] Help for holden wb 1984 UTE

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think a rack and pinion steering conversion would be worth it, same as upgrading the brakes.

Where can you get one? About 7 years ago, I tried to find a suitable one, for an HQ chassis (was a hotrod build) and couldn't find a suitable rack....

I also drove a hotrod, with a commodore rack fitted into a HK front end. Turning circle was crap (that's being polite)....Last I spoke to the owner, he was changing back to the original steering box set up.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
IMO, keep the wb as a project car and get a safer, more reliable, more powerful, more comfortable, more fuel efficient car for a daily.

As for the ute, build a mild 308 for it and make it look pretty. The body work will definitely be the hardest part if it's not straight. The long, flat panels are a nightmare to get straight. Especially with the curve and body line you need to work with, you'll learn pretty quickly though if you do it all yourself.

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
i was thinking a nice 253 with yella terra heads, extractors, rebuilt carby, 5 speed supra (keeping 4 speed for L plates) 2 1/4 inch exhaust some comp maby 10 or something sadly have to keep all pollution rubbish :/

this is the color of my car shed still hasent been wired yet so bad photo

Imgur

will take proper photes when get more time

also post what you would think would be good on a 253 because thats probaly what i will go with

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If you really want to spend money on a 253:
-Small cam. crow 5666 is about the biggest you should go on a relatively stock 253.
-quadrajet
-standard volume oil pump
-original hei ignition with the dizzy regraphed to suit the cam (easy to do yourself)
-extractors or stock manifolds, it won't really make a difference. If you're driving it on your p's, definitely go with stock cast manifolds. And a 2.5" single exhaust to avoid drawing attention to yourself.
-use the stock manifold or a performer. The egr cannot be connected to a performer so technically the car wouldn't be roadworthy.
-leave the emissions stuff there. None of it really has any effect at full throttle (low manifold vacuum) and increases fuel efficiency anyway.

Even after that, a standard vn-vy v6 commodore would blow the 253 out of the water.

As for the gearbox, if you don't have a supra 5 speed already with the shortened tailshaft, modified crossmember, bell-housing, yoke, clutch and speedo cable setup, it's not worth spending the money. I'd be going with an aussie 3 or 4 speed (m22 would be my pick with a shorter 1st and therefore reverse gear) because they're cheap to buy and easy to get parts for, if you're set on a manual. If funds allow I'd be looking at buying a 308 block and having it redrilled to turbo pattern and putting a t700 behind it.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Where can you get one? About 7 years ago, I tried to find a suitable one, for an HQ chassis (was a hotrod build) and couldn't find a suitable rack....

I also drove a hotrod, with a commodore rack fitted into a HK front end. Turning circle was crap (that's being polite)....Last I spoke to the owner, he was changing back to the original steering box set up.

Heres one, its a bit pricey but it exists:

RP08KIT - HQ-WB - HOLDEN - RACK & PINION KIT - HQ-HJ-HX-HZ-WB - Holden

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
what if i put a ecotec in it?

is there any major mods to be done to that??

there is some conversion kits around which ive considerd

what sorta power and mods for a ecotec

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman

That's not a bad idea, but you'll need to have it engineered and you won't be allowed to drive it on your p's. It's not the easiest or cheapest conversion either. They're cheap to buy, fuel efficient and have reasonable power though.

You could buy a running 253 with trimatic from $250-400 and stick it in and drive it while you're putting together a nice 308 for when you get your full licence. Shouldn't even take you 2 days to have a 253 in and running.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback

That's not a bad idea, but you'll need to have it engineered and you won't be allowed to drive it on your p's. It's not the easiest or cheapest conversion either. They're cheap to buy, fuel efficient and have reasonable power though.

You could buy a running 253 with trimatic from $250-400 and stick it in and drive it while you're putting together a nice 308 for when you get your full licence. Shouldn't even take you 2 days to have a 253 in and running.

Ecotec would be the go, there'd have to be kit's made up by now. Saw one in a HR looked mint. What's in the ute now?

mtmoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 WB UTE
my dad wants me to stick with the 202 and just get some mods im thinking thats dumb because they are slow as balls, and from what i hear a 253 is slow to..

hmm il have to ask rms about that enginer thing and p platers
will get pics this avo

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If you are going to go to all the effort of doing a conversion and engineering it, why would you go an ecotec rather than an LS1? Neither will be legal on your P's and I know which one I'd be doing.