Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help my VB SL/E Commodore fuel tank is crappy.

Darren75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 253 Commodore '79
I recently purchased my second VB SL/E Commodore and it needs love, the fuel i put in comes back out brown, and the tank has been dented and sports a patch :( the tank had no fuel cap so is rusty inside the filler neck and there is a smell, possibly remains of old fuel turned into varnish? im in a remote area and these cars may as well be non existent up here, haven't seen one since my last one, trying word of mouth around town to find one in a back yard, no luck yet, i have a new recon ww strommy 2 barrel but i am waiting for another tank, the car is luckily (or not) running lpg as well, when revving the motor there is no smoke, but when foot off pedal when engine idles down there is white /grey/blue smoke, is this going to be a big problem? car has the power pack and is quite clean and fairly straight for her age, i would really appreciate all/any help from members here, trying to get her to a level where i can register the old girl, will only vb-vc tanks fit or will vb-vk, vl fit too? kind regards, Darren.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate VB to VS tanks will fit. You will need to shorten the filler neck on VN-VS but not a big issue.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
blue smoke is usually not a good sign. Could be valve stem seals if it only happens when you rev and then back off the throttle. Might be worth doing a wet & dry compression test.

as mentioned above - VB-VS fuel tanks fit. VN onward will need a minor filler neck mod. Will have to change the electrical connector for your sender unit though as they are different. VL onward (and some VK) have an intank pump. Try running it without hooking up the pump first, but if you have pickup problems, you may have to wire up the pump.

Darren75

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks, i will keep up the search, no smoke while revving only when foot off acc and engine
is winding down, idling it has no smoke.

Darren75

Reaction score
Members Ride
in a population of ten thousand or so in my town, i have tracked down a vb/vc manual v8 commodore to get a replacement fuel tank and handbrake, doing well not to have to use a freight company to source from another town. Getting her registered and then look at the smoke issue.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Looks like you will be doing valve stem seals.

You can do stem seals without removing the heads...but who know what your guides are like you might as well pick up a spare set of heads and doing them up and just do a swap over

Also before you fire it up blast some carbie cleaner down your fuel lines and some compressed air to try and clean out any crap out of your lines that my be laying in the bottom of them.

cheers
Scott

Tim Vent

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SLE COMMODORE
Try Chris Automotives in Essendon Vic. He does a an 80 ltr tank for these cars for $600. Hes on Gumtree at the moment.Good build quality,dont have to stuff around with filler neck mod.I had similar issues with my SLE.with an obvious leak on the bottom of the tank initially the fuel was yellow and shitty.Wasnt a daily driver and like most of these old cars has spent the last 20yrs in a sedentry life.I looked around for a second hand one but bit the bullet and went with chris s Autos.They r new and carry more fuel (if u want of course) and instant piece of mind.I should hav done it straight away as the carbie had just been rebuilt and was running beautifully but started to flutter recently on start up and driving which it never did.so i thought it may hav been drawing **** fuel which it was.Yeh i could hav fucked around cleaning it but the patch on the bottom was a clear indication it was past its use by date for my mind.
Cheers.