Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help with getting parts/engine for my first project car

--souljah--

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suburu Rx
hey guys.

My dream has just come true. I have my own VK for me to do big boy things to it.

Basically Ive been looking here and there on the net trying to get the heads up on what kind of engine could go into the VK. Ive seen that its a good idea to go with a 304 and also I have been told it should just fit in without changing the K-Frame or engine mounts. But I basically what a V8 that would be decent on petrol, maybe a gen3?

What I think know I will have to do to get my first project on the road is. --Change the engine, --change gearbox or reco the current one?, --change to disc brakes, --wiring/loom, (im not sure if I will have to put a ECU in) body work and anything else that needs to be changed on the car. Im just mechanically minded mechanical hack so please correct me if I am missing anything else essential.

Basically what I want to know is, What is a good, economical way to go about putting my car or the road looking and sounding somewhat tuff. But also leaving myself with room to perfect it when I get my hands on better stuff for it?

cheers fella's

I will post pics when I get a chance too

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
EFi 5L is your best bet for perfomance and price, or an RB30DETT comversion but I didnt just say that one. GenIII is a pig of a conversion it is a VERY tight fit and will cause other issues with the car such as no power steer, aircon, steering geometry changed, drive one before you decide on that conversion.

Back to the real conversion EFI 5L read my site, search the forum theres a neat seach utility then come back to use with questions, pretty much everything has been asked before.

Scott

--souljah--

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suburu Rx
I checked out the site. Mate thats bloody too good. Ill be using it when I get stuck. And passing it on where I can.

But what Im really interested in is what would you say is a good cruisy engine thats doesnt smash the petrol, but it has to be an 8? Or how could I make it a bit more economic? And by cruisy I mean driving interstate. Thats all I really need to know as Im not to crash hot on engines and such, I can just play around with em. Apart from that I can just wing the rest I spose.

The engines Im looking at right now is probably gonna come from a VN/VP.

Oh and also. Whats the best way to go about buying a engine? I want to either get a half cut or a wrecked car with a good engine and take it out myself so I have a better handle on things cause I took it out meself. Or would it be cheaper to just buy it seperate?

Last edited: