Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heres some pics of our Hillman imp resto...

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Hehe I love the little imps, my father inlaw ends up telling me stories of him and his mate racing an imp, it's cool, it's awesome, well done.

BradCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP SS rep
Since my dad was 18 there was not a day go past where he didnt own an imp, he loves them. he also started to restore an old Jag XJ-6 but gave up and bought one in (already) showroom condition lol....

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Good work. FWIW I like Hillman cars very much. Over the years I've had a 1960 Minx Special, and a 1954 Californian.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The 60's was a funny decade. You could bung twin carbs on anything and call it a "GT".

My mate had an Imp. I can prove they could break the speed limit, because within two weeks of getting his P's in 1968, we were pulled over by a big cop in a very little Mini on the old F3 tollway at Berowra and he scored a ticket for speeding. I can't recall the speed limit in those days, I think it would have been 70mph, but his little Imp could do better than that. Lost his license for 3 months v- the standard penalty for a P plater in those days.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Dam that come up nice, something a little different too

Dazz

VS Work Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 series 2 VS V6 ute
How cool is that, I just found this link in google images. Do you still have it? I'm in the process of getting my GT back on the road now.

27042014.jpg
27042014_001_.jpg

Mine was originally blue the fella before me painted it up the way he liked it. It will stay white but the maroon and silver paint everywhere is going. I'd love to see as many pics as you have for reference as mine has been restored before but bits are missing or replaced with non standard parts. You can P.M. if you want, any help would be great. This is how I got the bugger home from the Barossa Valley.
26042014_001_.jpg
26042014.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
We had a Hillman Hunter for a bit. My Oma and Opa had one too.

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
You’ve really warmed the cockles of my heart with this! I had an Imp exactly the same as yours, same colour and interior. I bought it from the car auctions for forty five quid, and it cost me fifty five quid to get a new clutch put in!
I had a window cleaning round at the time, and I used to fit my ladder in by opening up the back window hatch. Great stuff!

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
We had a Holman Hunter for a bit. My Oma and Opa had one too.
My first car was a 1967 Singer Gazelle. It was very similar to the Hillman Hunter at that time. Hillman and Singer amongst other British car manufacturers such as Humber, Sunbeam and Commer went on to be owned by The Rootes Group, founded by William and Reginald Rootes.
I also owned a 1967 Humber Imperial which was classed as the poor mans Rolls Royce. Yes, sadly I was a poor man, and nothing much has changed.

Last edited: