Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden 5litre MAF?

Overdose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 5.0L Exec
hey just wondering on the vs III and vt I 5litres, do they have a MAF and if so will removing it increase airflow like on the LS1's?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
as far as i know you can do MAFless tunes on a LS1 because they also have map sensors. 5 litres dont. i may be wrong

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
i had a 5 litre out of a VP in my Nissan Patrol and it had a map sensor. From the advice i received, they are good for about 3 bar before you need after market.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry i just meant the VT model. they had a maf sensor im fairly sure? not sure how hard it would be to add a map sensor into a vt

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I wouldnt say a stock map sensor is good for 3 bar.

But on topic yes Roller motors (195i) ooriginally have mafs in s3 vs (some that is) and VT s1. It's possible to change to a map but theres not much point the gain from changing would be more likely result of tuning rather than the removal of the maf. Now if your going forced induction then switching to map would be beneficial

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
MAF's are great, better than a map only setup for a road car (that's why every car has them now). There wouldn't be any gain on a VT 5 litre removing the maf since it would allready be rated alot higher than the stock motor can breath, Then again I'd leave it on a LS1 if I had one too

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
didnt see the 3 bar bit. no theyre not. a stock one is good for one bar, because thats all they are. one bar map sensors. start adding boost and youre readings are maxed out

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
greenfoam. im curious to why you think a maf sensor should be left on a car????

my ls1 is mafless and driveability wise i notice no difference. Power wise gains had been made.

And the gains was not just from going stock tune to aftermarket. car had previously had maf tune done prior to me buying it. I went and got it mafless tuned and made a 20kw gain.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I just dont think the gain would be worth making it obviously illegal epa wise and mafs are much more precise, where's the 20kw? if it's only on the top end of the power curve it will only make very little performance difference. Anyway that's just the way I'd run one if I had one :) but I don't. If it's only a 10th on the track I wouldn't be to worried I'd just take the body deadner out instead :D

vsgm8

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute s 5.0L
hi guys i have a vs sIII with the vt roller in it did some come out 185 and 195? cause the guy i bought it off said that it got the 195chip in it im confused. also can i remove the one in there now to check what it is and then put it back in? or does it have to get reprogrammed again?

Last edited: