Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden AIr Intake Mod resistor \

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by kramersteen, Oct 23, 2011.

1. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    Hi all, i have a 4runner wi th a vp engine in it. Anyway i installed this air intake resistor and to my surprise it made the engine perform better. And although theres no way in hell i got a 20 hp gain as the packaging said it did make some change. The change i noticed was only between 3 and 4 on the tacho. Maybe its all in my head but my friend and brother thought the same thing. Anyway i know they get a lot of negative feedback etc and to most its a gimmick. Maybe my mind has gone ricky-tard and i am imaging the the whole thing.

Holden engine mod chip VN, VP, VR, VS, VT, VU, VX, VY | eBay

2. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    I strongly suggest you remove that piece of crap before you foul your plugs, valves, pistons and clog your cats.

3. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    really? Is this a common thing to have happen? Have you had this hppen to you or any one you know? im worried now haha.

4. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    He wouldn't of said it if he didn't mean it.

5. PRAVX II S

PRAVX II S Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore
    More fuel. you will need more air.
    You cant just throw in more fuel.

6. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    Also my 4runner has always had a rough idle and at one stage a mechanic told me it must be a air sensor problem or something but could not pin point it. Anyway now it idles perfect? The idle was really bad and although it never stalled it seemed like it wanted to. Alot of people dont reccomend not using a thermostat but i have never had one for the 4years i have used the car, so i just need all the facts and proof you know?

7. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  8. DevilDRake

DevilDRake Braaaap

Members Ride:
    2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
    Think of this way, if Holden could make your car do 20HP+ more for $20 a car, don't you think they would have done that?

9. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    The car uses a bounty of fuel as it is so i hope not, will try it for a week and then change it back if i fear its doing damage. And i have read all the negative stuff on this item that why i stated it was to my surprise that it changed for the better, at least so far.

10. Jesterarts

Jesterarts Your freedom ends where mine begins

Members Ride:
    2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
    If your car was running rough @ idle before and is running better now, this suggests your car was previously running lean on idle.

The resistor tricks the ECU into thinking the air going into the engine is colder and it increases the fuel.

So while your idle may have improved, the issue is that the car is running richer than it should once going, so combustion is not optimal and therefore foulding of plugs, valves and pistons will occur and then there is a decent amount of unburnt fuel being dumped into the exhaust system which will clog your cats.

The other think to take into consideration is the placebo effect, if you want something to work you will think it does even if it doesn't.

Anyway, good luck with it but in my opinion I would take it out. Not worth the risk of damaging your car.

11. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    It could be a placebo for sure, i believe what you say. problem is its like everything you can find info to support it and info against it. Theres many folks that note change even on a dyno test. And there proven results. But for everyone of those theres another that says there shit. So you see where i am going? I will try it for a awhile but so far im enjoying the change.

The best thing about the 3.8 v6 is there a dime a dozen, i have 2 spare complete engines at my olds so i am ready if i need a replacement. I would just like to say how much these motors hammer and take abuse. I really enjoy driving the 4runner offroad with this engine,

12. vps231

vps231 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS s2,Vp S, 180B SSS Project
    Why not spend that little bit extra and get a memcal, More power than that thing will give u and will use less fuel!

13. DAKSTER

DAKSTER Beam me up Scotty!

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    TANSTAAFL If it looks too good to be true, its usually not true.

*there aint no such thing as a free lunch

14. kramersteen

kramersteen Member

Members Ride:
    vt/
    I thought thats what it was until i received it haha. It was a rookie mistake for sure. i will get a memcal can you point me towards a decent one?

I just had extractors fitted and i was thinking about getting this throttle body eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d Any thoughts on that??

15. vps231

vps231 New Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS s2,Vp S, 180B SSS Project
    mace engineering, delcowizard, greenfoam are all on this site. Im sure one of those blokes could help ya out.

16. nathanVY

nathanVY such boost

Members Ride:
    2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon

^ yep. throw that ebay rubbish in the bin and grab a tune from some of the guys on here... brett_jjj or the1 might be able to help you out as well.

17. monkeys437

monkeys437 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Stato l67
    No one's saying it doesn't give a small power increase, the issue is it does it by tricking your computer into overfueling the car which is bad on your engine in the long term for the reasons jesterarts mentioned.

As for the no thermostat I'm not sure why you would do that. All it means is your car will take much much longer to reach operating temperature. If you want it to run a bit colder get an 81 degree thermostat for 15 bucks and use that.

18. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    Having no thermostat can actually raise your engine temp in hot weather.

By removing the thermostat you are also removing the restriction the body of it provides, virtually doubling the size of the hole the water flows through.

This means the water flows too fast, and doesnt get as much of a chance to cool in the radiator.

19. vn1989

vn1989 New Member

Members Ride:
    vn executive series 1 v6 1989
    yeah when i first got my 1989 vn the thermostat was stuff (stuck open) and my car just about over heated in like 10 mins changed it with a high flow 1 and its good as new :)

20. DAKSTER

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    A high flow thermostat? You can get thermostats that will open at different temperatures, but a high flow thermostat would have the same problem as no thermostat. You might mean one thats rated at a different temperature.

Look at the size of the hole in the thermostat housing, and then examine a thermostat. You will see that the body of the thermostat takes a substantial amount of the hole, and the hole in the actual thermostat is considerably smaller. This provides a restriction in the system to slow the flow of water. If you have a monster radiator, then you may get away with enlarging this restrictor, but with a normal radiator you do not want to increase the water flow. Of course, you dont want to slow it down much either.

If you live in a tropical area, you already know about this. Its common up north to run a car without a thermostat, but the thermostat is not actually removed. It tends to happen in places like Darwin, if a thermostat craps itself on a journey and you need to get the car going.

You can remove the thermostat, cut the bars that hold the springloaded valve in place, and stick just the body of it back in without the valve. In this way, the body of the thermostat provides enough restriction to slow the water flow, but the thermostat is no longer stuck open or closed because the valve is removed.

Since you dont really need a thermostat in a town that rarely ever gets colder than 15 degrees, people would leave them like that for months or years without getting around to putting a new one in.

People with less experience though would remove the thermostat altogether, and discover their cars running temperature rising significantly, often to the point of engine damage.